The process of selection at XLRI consists of a Group Discussion followed by a Personal Interview.
Feedback - Group Discussion
Average Duration :20 mins.
No. of Panelists :3
- Prioritize a list of seven solutions- ensuring better policing in India. Students were first asked to prioritize individually and then as a group.
- Prioritize a list of definitions on Corporate Social Responsibility.
- How can land acquisition be done in a fair manner?
- Economic slowdown and Employee layoff.
XLRI - MBA Interview Experiences
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration : 10-12 mins.
No. of Panelists :3
- Excerpts From Interview 1 : Where did you get placed? (he said Jindal Steels). Why do they need mechanical engineers? (candidate was a mechanical engineer) What is heavy water? Name some nuclear stations. What is the breakup of hydel, nuke and thermal power in terms of percentage power generation? Name some hydel power stations. Why MBA? Who controls Maruti Suzuki? (candidate had made some project on car manufacturing) What is the issue with the A-star? Who used to control Maruti? What do you think TATA owning Land Rover and Jaguar will do to their sales abroad? Do you think A-stars recall will affect its brand image in Europe? What is the difference between carburetor and fuel injector? Is manual or automatic transmission better in terms of fuel efficiency? What is K-series engine? What do you know about the Nano? Who makes their engines? What is the biggest cost in manufacturing a car?
- Excerpts From Interview 2 : Tell us about yourself. What all colleges have you applied to? You have studied in two schools. What have you learnt from them? You have been working with your company for 3 months. Tell us how you find it? What do you like most in it? You have taught Quant and DI for CAT. How did you go about teaching DI? What are your hobbies? (reading) Whom you like to read more? Why do you want to do HR? What are the colleges known for HR? Any HR person you have been influenced by? Don't you know any one HR person who is famous? What are the functionalities of HR? (candidate said managing work force) Who sanctioned leave for you today? (candidate said : Project Manager, PM) Who tells you what to do? (PM) Who has to answer if you do not do your job well? (PM) Where does HR come in? Let us say, you are a production manager. There are 5 people working under you. Who would be responsible for managing them?
- Excerpts From Interview 3 : Why PMIR? Why did you apply to BM also? What will you do in PMIR? Why IT to HR? What is recession? What is sub- prime? Tell me something about the economy of India. Where did you get these statistics from? Tell me about the labor laws of India. What is IDA 1947? What is the problem with IDA? Why are Indian labor laws outdated? Is there any need for reforms? Tell me if a person is a good performer and company policy doesn't allow him promotion due to in experience then how will you handle this situation? You wrote about mentoring people. What if the person you supervise is an excellent performer but has a negative? What is you XAT score?
If you have any question, suggestion or feedback, feel free to post it in the discussion box given below.
Other GDPI Preparation Links: