IIM Shillong is the 7th IIM to be established in India. Counted among the prestigious old IIMs, the institute is known for bringing out ethical leadership and responsible managerial skills in students. It offers a two-year full-time PGP in management, that focuses on sustainable and innovative ways of business. The candidates are shortlisted as per their CAT scores, and the final merit list is prepared based on the past academic marks, CAT scores, and interview performance.
The admission process for PGP ’22 batch followed as:
- Shortlisting (based on CAT score and overall profile)
- Personal Interview (PI)
In the interview, every candidate was assigned an extempore topic, for which they had one minute to think and one minute to speak.These topics were mostly based on the ongoing and trending issues or latest events. In some cases, the candidate was given a topic as per their educational background. Listed below are some of the extempore topics given to the candidates during PGP admissions 2022:
- Profit is a dirty word in the Indian dictionary
- Private v/s Public Education: Future of India
- Responsible consumption or Responsible Production?
- Are E-commerce discounts harmful to customers?
- Should business lobbying be made legal in India?
- Defence or Education - Where should we invest more?
- Sustainability v/s Livelihood
A panel of two members evaluated the candidates on the basis of their academic knowledge and general awareness. The experienced professionals were also asked about their work profile. Some interviews were as short as 10 minutes, while some others went on for 25 minutes. There was also follow-up discussion or cross-questioning on the candidate’s extempore topics. Here are some of the interview experiences shared by four candidates:
Background:B.Tech (Production Engineering), Working at Citicorp
- Don't you think discounts on e-commerce websites make people buy more products than they need? What is the impact of these discounts from the company's perspective?(Based on the candidate’s extempore topic)
- How do loss-making companies achieve profitability? What is the timeline for loss-making companies to become profitable? How do they meet it?
- So, you did your Engineering in Production? And where do you work?
- What is your role at Citicorp? How is it related to Production Engineering?
- You spoke about Lean Manufacturing. What is it? What is it based on?What are the wastes in Lean Management?So, what are the wastes that you try to minimize at Citicorp?
- With respect to the Russia-Ukraine conflict, do you feel the UNSC is powerless since Russia vetoed its condemnation?What is your opinion on India's stance in this conflict?
- What do you do in your leisure time?Have you won any singing competitions?When was the last time you performed and won?
IIM Shillong - Interview Experiences
Background: B.Com, Fresher
CAT Percentile: 98.5
- You have written in your form that you are from a middle-class family. State some of the socio-demographic factors that characterise a middle-class family ofKolkata.
- How has digital life changed India?Tell me two merits and two demerits of moving to digital India. What recent policies have been launched by the government to uplift digital media? How has the digital marketing campaign changed since the pandemic?
- Under the clause 148 of income tax law, the government sent me notice that I have paid less than the applicable tax. Which avenues should I look into, and what steps should I take to resolve this?
- What is the difference between research design and research methodology? Define the parameters of the research design.
- Which subject are youcomfortable in?
- Who is Phillip Kotler? Can you tell me about his theories?
- What are the 4Ps and 7Ps?
- What is special about Shillong?
Background:B.Tech (Chemical Engineering), Work Ex of 15 months at TCS
- Can you give me an overview of treatment plants and their significance?Will treatment plants be required at your locality?
- As a chemical engineer, how will you help Ukraine?
- What is the slope of y = a+bx?
- Why do you want to do MBA? What will you do if you do not convert your calls this year?
- Where do you see India, five years from now?
- What are the possible ways to counter climate change? Can you suggest some?Why are EVs not able to solve the climate problem?Are you aware of any instances of bio-warfare that happened in the past?
- Which sector do you think has growth potentialin India?How do insurance companies make money?
- Tell us about a peculiar experience you had at work. How do you select a candidate if you are a manager?
Background: Dual degree in Metallurgy/Financial engineering, Fresher
CAT Percentile: 99.97
- How can we get the poor to support sustainability? All they care about is their livelihood? (based on extempore topic)
- How are metallurgy and finance-related?
- Why is the iron-carbon diagram important? Carbon is important everywhere, but why is oxygen not that important? Answer from the point of view of chemistry and metallurgy both.
- Can you tell me about a recent news event?What causes so much volatility in global markets?What is the role of FIIs?Why are the prices of crude oil rising?What haveJPMC and BofApredicted about crude oil prices? Do you agree this will happen? What is your forecast?