One of the oldest B-schools in India, IIM Calcutta counts among the finest educational institutions in Asia. As per the CAT scores and other parameters, IIM-C shortlists candidates for itstwo-year full-time MBA programme. The final admission merit list is prepared on the basis of CAT scores, academic profile, gender diversity, and performance in further selection rounds.
The admission procedure for MBA admissions 2022 followed the given order:
- Shortlisting (based on CAT scoreand overall profile)
- Personal Interview
A group of two interviewers assessed the candidates, based on their career goals, academics, work experience, hobbies, etc. Some of the candidates were also given mathematics questions to solve. Generally, each interview went on for 15-25 minutes. Here are some of the experiences shared by candidates interviewed at IIM-C:
Background:B.Tech(EEE), Work ex of 2.5 years at JPMC
- What is your job role at JPMC?
- Draw a graph on ‘The more you eat, the hungrier you are’.
- How is energy produced? Explain the complete process. Is nuclear energy really green? What are the different types of green/ renewable energies?
- Is hydel energy a renewable source? If so, then why is the hydel source of energy so low?
- In India, where are we in terms of solar energy? What are the limitations of solar energy? And what are the ways to counter it?
- What are your career goals?
The candidate was also asked other questions related to graphs like linear change, increasing/ decreasing rate, etc. and more questions from statistics. A few questions were on noise and the techniques to detect it. There was also cross-questioning on the candidate’s work profile description and career goals.
Background:B.Tech (Mechanical), Work ex of 3.5 years at Saint-Gobain
- Tell us your everyday work.
- What is the difference between material science and solid mechanics? What is the difference between kinematics and kinetics?
- Can you draw the graph of 1/x?
- Are you aware of the recent elections in five States? Do you know about the contesting parties and their CM candidate?
- Can you tell me about the war memorial that was recently in the news?
- Do you have any questions?
Background:B.Tech (Chemical Engineering), Work ex of 3.5 years at Reliance Petrochemicals
- What is the revenue of your business? What is its percentage in total revenue of Reliance Petrochemicals? What is the margin of your product?
- What are the differences between B2C and B2B sales?
- Was Reliance your campus placement offer? What was your learning throughout the years?
- Did you take CAT earlier? What happened then? What did you do differently this time?
- Solve these questions:
- If x^2+1/x^2=34, find x+1/x.
- Find the next term of 2,5,9,19,37.
- What are your hobbies? You mentioned historical fiction as your favourite genre, but your favourite author is Jeffrey Archer. How is that?
- Which 5 US cities are on the Western coast? 5 such cities in the UK? Where is Seattle? What is Morocco's significance for India?
- What was India's stance on recent developments in Burkina Faso?
- Do you have any questions for us?
Background: Work ex of 8 months as Software developer
- What is the meaning of your name? Do you believe in luck? Which is more important - luck or effort?
- Post covid, how did the government plan to improve the current economic state? How is the government going to help start-ups? What is a unicorn? Name one unicorn. Name some start-up hubs in India.
- Tell us about the challenges you faced as a software developer.
- What is trading? (related to a trading app)
- Draw the graph of x2+y2=4
- Draw the graph of log x to the base 10
- Tell us about your hobbies.Who was the celebrity who passed away recently? Who are your favourite singers? Name different kinds of classical music. Have you prepared any song to sing if asked during the interview?