Shailesh J. Mehta School of Management (SJSOM) is a part of IIT Bombay, one of the top universities of India. It offers a two-year full-time MBA programme, aimed at developing managers with an integrated knowledge of various business areas. In the first stage, the candidates are shortlisted based on their CAT score. Finally, the admission list is prepared as per the composite score, made up of the candidates’ CAT score, academic profile, gender diversity, and work experience.
The admission process at SJMSOM, IIT-B follows in this order:
- Shortlisting (based on CAT score)
- Personal Interview (PI)
The interview panelconsisted of three panellists, which included two members of faculty and one alumnus. The candidates were asked about their work experience, academics, hobbies, and career goals. The panel also assessed the general awareness of the candidates regarding current events. The interview duration varied widely, with some candidates being interviewed for less than 10 minutes, while some interviews went on for 25 minutes. Here are the interview experiences of four candidates for MBA admission:
Background:Work Ex of 13 months at Infosys (Aerospace domain)
- Take us through your journey from class 12th till here.
- Can you tell me the property of metals and how they can be correlated with human qualities? How do you measure hardness, ductility, elasticity, and plasticity?Are you a malleable person?
- What are your hobbies? Who is the highest bought player in the auction? Which are the underdogs bought in auction? How are you interested in meme-making and joke-writing? How is your Twitter profile?
IIT Bombay - Interview Experiences
Background:B.Tech (CSE), Work Ex of 30 months at TCS Digital
- You are the last one to be interviewed in today's slot;how are you feeling?
- Give us a brief introduction about yourself. Tell you about your current role. So, what is your daily work routine? What are your future aspirations?
- Why do you wish to do an MBA? But, you can achieve that with your current role also.
- So, you will invest two years for this course. Why don't you do a few months' course in some specialization?Give me an example of a successful Indian person who has reached the top of the corporate ladder even without an MBA?
- What do you do that someone from a technology background can do, but not someone from B.Sc?We can train that person to write scripts and automate the process. Can't we?
- Who is the CTO of TCS? What is CDO?
- I saw your profile on LinkedIn; you worked as a full stack developer. Then, why did you switch to TCS in a different role?
- What is agile methodology? Who is a scrum master?How is it different from the waterfall model? In which scenarios would the waterfall model be more suitable? What is a user story?
- You are working on a lifesciences project. Explain me about its domain.What is your contribution to the project?
- Recently,the Indian government has allowed a waiver on IPR. Do you know about that? What is an IPR? What is its full form?How do companies protect their software from piracy?Is copyright an IPR?
- Tell me something about yourself.
- Which was the last book that you read?What are your learnings from it?
- Why MBA now?Do you think MBA is important for career growth?
- How much do you remember from your engineering?
- What is electromagnetic induction?What is the difference between 4G and 5G? Why 5G?
- Which other calls do you have?
- Who is the CEO of Twitter?
- What is the dispute of the South China Sea?
- What is happening in Sri Lanka? What is India's stance on it?
- Do you think the US is losing its position as the leader of the world?
- Do you know about Ukraine-Russia dispute? What do you think can be done?
- Who is your role model? And why?
- Why should we choose you?
Background:B.Tech (Mechanical),Work Ex of 29 months
- Where are you from? How is the Amaravati project going on in your State? So,you mean everyone who bought lands there, lost their money?
- Ok, so tell me about yourself.
- You have been with ZS Associates for the past 2 years. Which tech stack do you use to perform analytics?What is your work generally like?Can you tell me about one of the projects that you recentlyworked on?
- It seems quite data-heavy, but how did a mechanical engineer end up at a data consulting/analytics role?Why did you take mechanical engineering then?
- What was your work at Tata motors?Tata motors bought Land Rover and Jaguar, then why don't they brand them as Tata cars?
- After MBA, If you get an opportunity to join back ZS, will you?
- You seem really interested in data analytics roles, then why MBA?Can you name two Indian companies which are using data analytics for their supply chain management?
- Do you have any questions for us?