S. P. Jain Institute of Management and Research (SPJIMR) features among the top 20 B-schools of India, as per the NIRF rankings. It offers a range of full-time post-graduate management programmes, including Post Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM), Global Management Programme (GMP), and Post Graduate Management Programme for Women (PGMPW). In the initial stage, the institute shortlists candidates based on their overall profile and scores in CAT/GMAT. For some programmes, NMAT/XAT scores are also permitted.
The final admission is determined after considering the candidate’s past academic records, work experience, entrance test scores, and interview performance.
PGDM admission procedure 2022 at SPJIMR was carried out as follows:
- Shortlisting (based on overall profile and CAT/GMAT score)
- Group Interview 1
- Group Interview 2
Two rounds of group interviews were conducted for PGDM ‘22 admissions. There were four candidates in each group, and only those selected after the first group interview were called for the second one. A panel of 2-3 interviewersasked the candidates about their personal values, career goals, academic knowledge, and interests. The candidates were also evaluated on their awareness of the chosen specialisation.
Each interview roundwent on for 40 minutes. The candidates perceived the first round as information-oriented and moderate, and the second round being subjective and stressful. Here are the some of the group interview questions shared by the candidates:
Background:B.Tech, Work Ex of 11 months
- So, which specialisation are you opting for? Tell me about any recent finance newsof the last few months.
- What is a unicorn start-up?
- How is a company valued?
- What do you mean by money markets? And financial markets?
- How is a trader different from an investor?
- Is insurance an investment?
- What is the difference between fundamental analysis and technical analysis?
- What do you think SPJIMR is looking for in this group interview? What makes our interviewing process different from other B-schools?
- If you are the head of a company and an employee holding an important designation takes a 10-day leave citing covid, but you found him partying in Goa, where you went for an official event. What would you do?
- What is the difference between peace and harmony?
- If you had to change a major decision in your life, what would it be?
- Who is your role model? And why?
SPJIMR - MBA Interview Experiences
- Introduce yourself.
- Why do you want to do MBA in Marketing?
- You seem quite interested in the rural and agriculture sector. Why don't you go for rural marketing or agriculture marketing offered by IIM-A, IIM-L,IRMA, etc.?
- What all things did you doduring your rural internship program? How did you provide them with better market accessibility? Whatis the current status of these websites?
- What kinds of products are not available in the rural market in the FMCG category?Do you really feel these are necessary for a poor villager?
- If a rural poor earns 200 per day and buys soaps and other necessities with the first 100 rupees and saves another 100 rupees, then would you suggest him to put that 2nd 100 rupeesin buying a new face wash which is newly launched?
- You mentioned the Dan Brown series and the current book you are reading is “THE DA VINCI CODE”. Is this a tactic to confine us only to this particular book?
- Who do you think is wrong in the farmers' protest?
- If you had to choose between ‘helping your friend’and‘completing your task’, what would you do?
- Whom would you prefer as a captain between Virat and Dhoni? And why?
- Do you think aggressive behaviour is unhealthy for sportsmanship?
- Any questions from your side?
Background:B.Tech (Chemical Engineering), Fresher
- Tell me about yourself.
- What is digital marketing? (Candidate did Google’s certification course in digital marketing)
- Design a digital model for any shop in Bhopal.Which all steps would you take?
- Why MBA?Why marketing?
- Which is your favourite advertisement? And why do you like it?
- If you are not selected, what will you do?
- What does SPJIMR logo mean?
- Can you compare SPJIMR’s logo with any other logo?
- Tell me the difference between sales and marketing.
- Why is it fit for you?
- What do you think this interview is about?
- What three things did you learn from covid?
- In a family of parents, brother, sister, your parents do not allow your sister to go anywhere at night. Howwouldyou solve this problem as an elder brother?
Background:Economic Honours Fresher
- Introduce yourself.
- Which is your favourite subject in Economics?
- Can you tell me about any current macroeconomics news? Why is the inflation rate in India lesser than that of foreign countries?
- What are your hobbies? How can you relate yoga to management?
- Have you studied any subjects that might help you in management?
- So, tell me, which shares should I invest in currently?
- How do females cope with the male-dominated society?
Background:BA (Hons.) in Business Economics, Fresher
- Tell me something that is not in your resume.
- If there is one thing about yourself that you would like to change, what would it be?
- For finance, have you done any course other than CFA?
- How are small city people different from metro city people? (Candidate belonged to a small city)
- Suppose you are in a situation where a girl is being harassed in front of you,and there is no one else to help nearby. What will you do?
- What are your views on the budget? What do you think they should focus on more in the next budget?
- What isVaR and its practical life applications? Do you know about probability distributions?
- Can you tell me about financial ratios?
The candidate was given certain scenarios and asked which financial ratio was better for which case.