The process of selection at IIM S consists of a Case Study discussion and a Personal Interview.
Feedback - Case study discussion
Duration: 3 minutes to read, 10 minutes to discuss
- There is a pharmaceutical company which is doing great (especially for AIDS) and has a profit rate of 28%. The latest CEO has done great in past one year and taken some good decisions like acquiring smaller firms to keep this firm the market leader. But the firm is facing some issues like an Indian Company has made a generic version of its medicines. Also, the firm is facing a backlash because it filed a case of South Africa's government due to IPR Reasons. Also, the firm is criticized for not focusing on African regions, which face the most number of problems due to AIDS. The General Meeting of shareholders is in some days. How should the CEO tackle all these issues in the meeting?
- Case of a software company, wherein a person's team used finance department's workstations to meet the deadline of a Rs. 1300 million project. Because of this, finance department will not be able to transfer salaries, it being the last day of the month. The company has never before delayed salary. What should the general manager do?
- Case of a company which is incurring some loss while providing an engine design from production to engineering department.
- Case study regarding electricity grid failure.
- Case study on Polio vaccine.
- Case of a company planning to venture into a different sector.
IIM Shillong - Interview Experiences
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration: 20-25 minutes
No. of Panelists: 2
Excerpt from Interview 1-
Candidate Profile: B.Com, working as a freelance content writer
Have you completed your studies? What do you do? Do you read? Why only little bit? How would you survive MBA if you can’t read? What if we give you a 60 page case study? Are you into literature? Do you like History or Geography? Explain the Padmavat Issue? Who is the protagonist in the issue? Name the kings related to the story? Who is Prithvi Raj Chauhan? Is he related to Padmavat? Where does Godavari River flow? Explain Malidives issue. What is Supply Chain Management?
Excerpt from Interview 2-
Candidate Profile: Fresher, B.Com
So you mentioned Crocheting as your hobby. I am curious where you learned it from? What is your opinion about teaching this thing to young kids? Is India a peninsula? What is a peninsula? Which is the southernmost point of India? Where are you from? (The candidate mentioned Indore) Do you know the history of Indore? How did Holkars come to power? Are Rajasthanis the majority population in Indore? What is Indore famous for? You read too? What genre do you read? What sort? Noddy or Harry Potter? Which book is your favorite? So you know about Greek mythology. Who was Zeus? Who is Zeus's Roman counterpart? What is Mercury's relation with Zeus? Are they related at all? What is the difference between Cost Accounting and Management Accounting? Have you studied ratio analysis? What is Inventory turnover ratio? What is Interest coverage Ratio?
Excerpt from Interview 3-
Candidate Profile: Fresher, B.Tech (CSE)
Tell us something about yourself. Why do you want to pursue MBA? What are the learnings which you can get from Dramatics in real life? (The candidate had done a course in dramatics) Tell me something about any current affair related to Bhutan? How have you worked with Artificial Neural Networks? How do you tune the parameters related to it? Explain the areas where Artificial Intelligence can be used. How do you know that an ANN has trained on the model? What is the meaning of training a model? What is Normalization? What are different Normal Forms? What purpose does it serve? Does normalization help in storage or query retrieval? Explain Rollback in terms of a Paytm Transaction.