The process of selection at IIM-Shillong includes Written Ability Test and Group Discussion on the same topic followed by a Personal Interview.
Feedback - Essay Writing/Group Discussion
Average Duration: 15 mins.
No. of Participants: 8
- Is FDI in defense really necessary for India? What are positives and negatives?
- Inflation and its social effects.
- Work experience is a prerequisite for MBA education.
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration: 20-30 mins.
No. of Panelists: 3(1-Current affairs,1-Academics,1-Ethical questions)
- Excerpts From Interview 1: You have been a quizzer, so you must be well updated. So spectrum has been in the news. Tell me about spectrum. What is the difference between this open tender and auctions by the different governments? Tell me about Nathuram Godse. Why has he been in the news? (cross questioning) ISIS. What message are they trying to send? So you are from economics background? Tell me about the Laffer Curve. How is the Laffer Curve different from the Engel's Curve? So where do you draw the line between Micro and Macro Economics? Tell me about the Look East policy. If you were the central banker of this country which policy would you follow? Questions on ECA. Questions related to job profile, responsibilities and projects.
- Excerpts From Interview 2: Tell me about yourself. If you are non-judgmental then what would you do if a team member was incompetent. Questions on Delhi elections. Suggest amendments in the constitution to ensure that Arvind Kejriwal doesn’t take the common public for a ride. What have you really found out about yourself? Sooner or later you will have to kill your conscience to survive in the corporate world. What would you do then? Philosophy related things like asking the right questions on the level of the universe. Connecting the dots on a macro level. Your personal and professional goals do not align. (cross questioning). What does money mean to you? What do you know about IIM Shillong? What is CAD? Why was it high last year? Have you read Vivekananda’s books?
- Excerpts From Interview 3: How many times have you written CAT before? Didn't you get through before? Engineering in Chemical, working in analytics, mismatch, why? Obama in news again after India visit. Why? Should Indian and Bangladesh join together? What impact would India have to have friendly relation with Myanmar? Heat Transfer and mass transfer related questions. What are the modes of heat transfer? Write the equations .Why is Victoria memorial turning yellow? Questions on work profile, company, projects, clients etc. Do you know any of your college seniors in IIM-S?
- Excerpts From Interview 4: Tell me about yourself. Which sports do you play? What is the reason for dip in oil prices? What is the relationship between US-Cuba & US-Vietnam? Tell us about Euro zone crisis. Which are the drought regions in Gujarat? (native place). Questions related to work profile and responsibilities.
- Excerpts from Interview 5: Tell us about yourself. What are your favorite subjects? Explain in one line. What is your job role? Tell us about the history of your company. Have you heard of Niti ayog? (cross questioning) Which is the world’s largest refinery? Tell us about Delhi elections. What is your opinion on Mr. Modi?
If you have any question, suggestion or feedback, feel free to post it in the discussion box given below.
Other GDPI Preparation Links: