Most top-ranked business schools require applicants to have passed the Common Admissions Test (CAT) with an
excellent score. However, there are other screening processes for you to go through in order to get final
admission. You must prepare for the next round of combat if you expect to hear from the eminent Indian Institute
of Management (IIM), Shillong. It is no easy feat to compete with handpicked applicants from a wide variety of
backgrounds and experiences, especially when you are practically on par with them in terms of intellect.
The prime focus of the PGDM/ MBA program's selection procedure is to analyse the applicant's educational
and professional experiences and if they would be a good fit for the institute’s curricula. The ability of
the individual to perform in their future career is speculated by the B-schools’ selection committee.
About IIM Shillong
Regarded among the old IIMs, the Indian Institute of Management at Shillong is the seventh one in line, to be
established in 2007. IIM Shillong offers full-time PGP as well as a range of executive and doctoral programmes
in management. The institute emphasises on developing ethical and responsible managers and leaders, with an aim
to contribute to eco-friendly enterprises.
Selection Process at IIM Shillong
In the first stage, the candidates undergo preliminary screening as per their CAT performance, with more
importance given to the sectional scores than the overall one. These candidates have to appear in group
discussion and personal interview (including extempore) rounds. The final stage involves consideration
of prior academic performance, GD-PI scores, CAT scores, work experience, and gender diversity of the
candidates, after which the merit list is declared.
GD Topics Given at IIM Shillong
It is important to note that GD hasn’t been held since 2020-21 session. However, it may be resumed later.
This round essentially includes case studies on the latest developments or management scenarios. A group
of students are given 3-4 minutes to read the case and 10 minutes to discuss it. Here are some of the GD/CD
topics assigned to students in the last few years of admissions:
- Case centred on a moral conundrum of whether or not one should provide a friend with the advantage of the
programme one uses for work.
- When an emergency delivery was needed over the weekend, the Production Team turned to the Finance Team for
help. They didn't consult them before seizing these tools. Due to exhaustion, they neglected to
reinstall these systems, which meant that the Finance Group wouldn't be able to function the next day.
What are your next steps as a peacemaker?
- A case of a software corporation wherein a group of people needed to use the computers in the accounting
department to complete their work in time for Rs. 1300 million project. Since today is the last day of the
month, the finance department cannot make any salary transfers. Paychecks have never been late previously at
this employer. The general manager needs your advice.
IIM Shillong - Interview Experiences
Interview Questions at IIM Shillong
The candidates are judged for their academic knowledge and awareness by a panel of two people. The experienced
ones are also probed for details about their professional history. The length of the interviews varies from 10
minutes to 25 minutes. Additionally, the extempore topics form the subject of follow-up discussion or
cross-questioning. Here are some of the interview questions posed to candidates during the last few years:
Academics & Work Experience
- What's the dissimilarity between a research strategy and a research method? Set the limits of the
- Exactly what are the 4Ps and 7Ps?
- What are your plans to lend assistance to Ukraine as a chemical engineer?
- So, how many varieties of elasticity modulus are there? Exactly why is knowing the bulk modulus so
Current Events & General Awareness
- Generally speaking, how do you feel about India's position in the Russia-Ukraine war?
- How do you feel about the Farmers' Protest? Provide two arguments for and against Farm Bills.
- When did the causes of World War 1 begin?
- What can you tell us about the place where you grew up? Explain five of Punjab's rivers.
Hobbies & Extra-Curriculars
- So tell me, which criminal show do you like the best? Tell me the original names of the lead characters.
- When you're not working, how do you like to spend your free time? Do you have any singing awards to
your name? Tell me about the last time you performed and came out on top.
- Okay, so you're a cricket fan. Please mention five Indian female cricketers.