NMIMS is a reputed university that offers MBA programmes at all its campuses (Mumbai, Bengaluru, Indore, Hyderabad,Navi Mumbai). It is included in the list of top 25 management institutes of India, as per NIRF rankings. Besides the General MBA programme, NMIMS extends MBA in Human Resources, Pharmaceuticals Management, Digital Transformation, Business Analytics, Family Business Management, and several others. In the initial stage, the candidates are shortlisted as per the university’s entrance test (NMAT) scores. The final admission is determined by a range of factors like past academic records, achievements, work experience, and WAT-PI performance.
The process for MBA admissions 2022 at NMIMS followed the given order:
- Shortlisting (based on NMAT score)
- Written Ability Test (WAT)
- Personal Interview
In this round, the candidates were given a 200-250 words long paragraph based on a latest issue/event. Some of these paragraphs also included a graph or chart to present facts and data. The candidate was required to express his/her opinion about the topic in 200-300 words. Some of the WAT-based paragraphs given to the candidates were themed around the following topics:
- Considering the limitations of driverless tech, it is futile to make heavy investments in it
- Reduction in demand for hotels during covid
- No doubt, there is high social media addiction around the world. But social media is a necessary evil in today’s times
- Digital divide and its consequences
- Do the brick-and-mortar shops have a future in the upcoming AR and VR marketplace?
- TikTok is used by a lot of youngsters. They are making a lot of money using TikTok, some teenagers are earning even more than CEOs of big companies.Is it the career path right for youngsters?
- Silicon chips supply shortage is affecting the world economy. Taiwan and China are the giants in manufacturing. Should India accelerate its manufacturer plan?
- Product Managers, future PMs and anyone who wants a simplified high-level overview of ML can view that ML as a solution adept at solving data-based problems. Discuss howcan ML be utilised in managing traffic on Indian city roads.
- The nature of the old internet, Web 2.0, is changing. If India has a chance to create a revolution, it is in Web 3.0.
A panel of two interviewers questioned the candidates about their academics, work experience, hobbies, and career goals. On average, each interview lasted for 7-12 minutes. Some candidates were also put questions regarding the information in their SOP. Here are some of the experiences shared by candidates interviewed in 2022:
Background: BBA, Fresher
NMAT Score: 244
- Tell me a bit about yourself.
- You are interested in marketing, but we are not offering marketing. We only have seats in HR, would you opt for HR?
- Tell me about some marketing campaigns which led to an increase in sales of a company. Give me some more examples. Give me examples of Indian companies, not foreign ones. Do you think thesetypes of campaigns are ethical?
- Which subjects did you study in graduation?
- What is the difference between services-based and product-based marketing?Do you know what is the buffer for service-based business?
- Do you have work ex? Have you done any internships?
- What are the disadvantages of e-learning which would lead people to not opt for it?
- Tell me about any latest business news. Which company brought in IPO recently, did not perform up to the mark, and the price fell? By what percentage did the price fall through?
- What are you doing currently?
- Why do you wish to do MBA now? How will you cope with people who have workex?
- What value will you bring to our institution?
- Have you ever done any social work? Name two NGOs.
- What is commerce?
- What is General Ledger,and how are entries posted into accounts?
- What is the process of making financial statements after you have made a General Ledger?
- Which is your favourite subject?
- What is digital marketing?
- What is the pull and push market?
Background:B.Tech (CS), Work Ex of 8 months
- Why only HR specialization?
- What do you know about performance management?
- What is talent acquisition?
- Why this shift from IT to MBA?
- MHRD’s name has been changed recently. What is its new name? Why has this change been done?
- Are you aware of the new education policy?
- What if not NMIMS? What other options do you have?
- What if not MBA?
- In Infosys, CHRO is treated as next to the chairman, why so?
Background:B.Tech (Electronics and Instrumentation), Fresher
NMAT Score: 258
- Tell us something that is not in your SOP.
- Did you get placement in your final year?
- Why MBA straight after college? Why not get some work experience before?
- What is a smart transmitter? Do you know about 2-wire, 3-wire, and 4-wire transmitters?
- What is the application of the Orifice meter?
- What is Thermocouple?
- Tell me the difference between administration and management.
- What are your hobbies?
- Describe in one line how social work helped you develop. (Candidate had an experience of three years of NGO work.)