The selection process at IIM K consists of Essay Writing (WAT) and Resume writing, followed by Personal Interview.
Here, resume writing is a basic questionnaire. There are two questions. First question is for candidates with work experience only. Second question is mandatory for all.
Average Duration: 15 minutes
Word Limit: One side of A4 for each question
Excerpts from Question 1:
- Describe a situation when you had to compromise with your decision with someone who was senior to you. How did you handle it and what was the result?
- Situation where you had to fight with a colleague/ friend. What was your role in it?
- Write about the leadership traits which your subordinates like and dislike about you and give the agreements and disagreements on the same.
- Describe a rewarding work place situation and the gains from it, lessons and learning from it.
- Tell of any instance which turned out be completely different (more difficult than you had anticipated) than you imagined before. How did you handle it and what did you learn?
- Mention a scenario by giving concrete example in which you developed plan to adapt to a new situation.
Excerpts from Question 2:
- Mention a scenario in which your leadership skills were challenged.
- Write about an incidence where your friends (team/subordinates) didn’t agree with your decision. How did you handle the situation?
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration: 15-20 minutes
No. of Panelists: 2-3
Excerpt from Interview 1-
Candidate Profile: CA, Work Experience of 3 years
Which games do you like? Outdoor and Indoor? (Cricket, Table tennis) What is the weight of TT ball? Height of the net? Do you know tic-tac-toe? What is the probability of me winning? Let's play. (Played for 5 minutes, results in a draw everytime). Ok, draw a graph: plot time on 1 side and revenue on the other, tell me volatility (plot figures 86,89,64,64) What if you have to? What all calls do you have? Why not ABC? Do you know why? Ok, tell me about game theory? Tell me about Delhi Laws Act, 1912 and Contract Act, 1872? Who is the current deputy prime minister of India? What is PBT in contract act? Anything that you want to ask or tell us?
IIM Kozhikode - Interview Experiences
Excerpt from Interview 2-
Candidate Profile: B.Tech (CSE), Fresher
Where do you exactly belong to? You studied in SMVDU in J&K. How? So SMVDU is in Katra, right? Which places you have been there? Name any five districts of J&K? How many total districts are there in J&K? Tell me who is the current Chief Minister of J&K? Who is the current Governor of J&K? What is President’s Rule? When does President’s rule is imposed over a State? So does President sit in the State? If yes, how would he control affairs if more than one state is under President’s rule? Who is the Head of Who is Executive of the State under President’s rule? How is President of India elected? So, you are a fresher, right? Why didn’t you take up a job? (Candidate didn’t sit in the placement process) Why? What was your graduation major? Write a few Sorting Algorithms. Now write the time complexities of all four. Which one is best and why? Which time complexity does ‘O’ represent? What is the difference between ‘O’ and ‘o’?
Excerpt from Interview 3-
Candidate Profile: B.Tech (Mechanical), Fresher
Why MBA? Which is better - percentile system or ranking system? Tell me about any 4 companies from mechanical industry? Why did Tata motors suffer a huge loss in this financial year? What is the share price of Tata motors? Do you follow stock market? What do you know about stock market? Which Indian company is the leader in 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers? Which newspaper do you read? Which section do you like the most? Tell me about an editorial which you read recently. Tell something which you read in the editorial. What is BPL? Who is the HRD minister? Who is the vice president?
Excerpt from Interview 4-
Candidate Profile: B.Tech (EE), Fresher
How are you? You belong to Agra. Okay tell me, if I had only 1 day to visit Agra, what all places would you recommend? So, was Agra ever the capital? So, you have been born and brought up in Agra? Okay, tell me what should we discuss now - Agra or Allahabad?. What is the new name of Allahabad? (some questions about Yogi Adityanath) If you were so passionate about electrical field, how come you want to study MBA? So, where do you see yourself 6 years down the line? Tell us, what would you really like to do in future? So suppose, Sundar Pichai sends you an offer letter at some senior managerial post and you get admit from IIM K as well. What would you choose? Can we see your CAT score card?