The selection process at IIM K consists of Essay Writing (WAT) and Group Discussion, followed by Personal Interview.
Feedback - Essay Writing (WAT) and Group Discussion
Average Duration for WAT: 15 minutes
Word Limit: 150
Average Duration for GD: 15 minutes
No. of participants: 10-12
(Same topic was given for WAT and GD)
- India should move to a Presidential form of Government.
- Is population of India an asset or liability?
- ‘Right to privacy’ is in danger in India.
- Stepping stones or Stumbling Blocks, they depend on the way you see them.
- Doing something right saves time better than explaining doing something wrong.
- With increasing unemployment, India should ban all its efforts on self-driving cars.
- History has taught us enough. Now we must learn our own modern day lessons.
- Government should not bail out nationalized banks which are bankrupt.
- Should India finance its infrastructure through internal finances or external borrowings?
- Planning commission or NITI Aayog- has anything changed at ground level?
- Strength does not come from physical capacity. It is derived from an indomitable will.
- Is UDAAN scheme just beneficial on paper or will it have effects on the ground level?
- Data and digitization are no solutions to agrarian distress.
- Should India focus on Smart Cities when 30 crores of its citizens are still without electricity?
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration: 20 minutes.
No. of Panelists: 2
Excerpt from Interview 1-
Candidate Profile: B.Tech (ECE) with work experience
What other calls do you have? No calls from FMS? So why Kozhikode? What do you do in your leisure hours? (The candidate mentioned about reading books) Tell us about the last book that you have read. What is your favorite club? (The candidate had mentioned football among his interests) Why not Chelsea? How is Manchester United better than Chelsea? (The interviewer took a paper and a pen) Write on this paper that you hate Manchester United and you love Chelsea. Why? If you write it, I shall keep it with me and will guarantee you a seat in IIM K. I shall communicate with the relevant ministry if required and I promise to get you in. Are you willing to give up on IIM K for the club you admire? Which company do you work in? What is your role there? What are the components found in the circuit board of a Cellphone? Name two companies that manufacture the chips of mobile phones. Give me two names for OS of mobile phones that are not very popular. When Microsoft bought Nokia, couple of employees from Nokia refused to join Microsoft and decided to start their own handset-making company. Name that company. (A couple of questions were asked on candidate’s family background) Any questions for us?
Excerpt from Interview 2-
Candidate Profile: CA with work experience in PwC Dubai
Have you left your job already? You seem to be doing well in your job. Why MBA? So tell me, what’s NFRA? Why is ICAI Opposing it? So what would be ICAI’s representation in it ? Let’s talk about Forensics audit, as you have mentioned this in your form. Try to link it to recent PNB fraud. How is it different from normal audit. Who does it? Are non-CAs involved? Can proprietorship firms get Forensics audit done? Who is the forensic auditor of Nirav Modi? Explain us about the fraud that happened with your client? (The candidate explained it on a paper) Do you know about IAS 115. In Dubai, what do they follow? Do you know about the 5 steps of revenue contract? Do you know about the goods return provision? Other than this, what else do you like doing? (The candidate mentioned about reading, writing on Quora, playing Lawn tennis and contributing to NGO) Tell me what other activities this NGO, Actionaid is into. Are they international? How did you come to know about it? You mentioned Lawn tennis. Do you play or watch? Who do you think is an emerging player worldwide? Why such marks in B. Com? Is it because of hectic internship? Was this you first CAT attempt? What other calls do you have? And what is your preference?
Excerpt from Interview 3-
Candidate Profile: B. Tech (CSE) with work experience in Samsung
What is this Samsung watermark on your form? Does that cause any problems with security? What do you think of upcoming elections in Karnataka? Which newspaper do you read? Name the most popular English daily of Karnataka. Name some popular English papers of West Bengal. Tell us about your work experience. (The candidate works in Data Science department) What models do you use? Explain Neural Networks. What is enterprise 2.0? Explain web 2.0. So, web 2.0 and enterprise2.0 are same? What do you do in your pastime? (The candidate mentioned that his favorite author is Khaled Hosseini) What was Hosseini's last book? Do you know about current affairs? Tell me about the Hawaii incident. Who is North Korea's biggest ally? Anything else you want us to know about you?