The process of selection at IMT consists of a Case study based Group Discussion, Group Exercise and Personal Interview.
Feedback - Critical Thinking
All the students were given topic in a sheet where space for writing was provided.
Word Limit- 300-400 words
Duration: 20 minutes
No. of Participants: 12-13
- Indian Startups are capable of becoming more than 1 bn. dollar companies. Write for or against in around 400 words.
- Technology doesn't solve a problem. It transforms one problem into other.
- AI is a threat to the job market. Write minimum 5 arguments in favor or against the topic.
- Corporate social responsibility - is it mystified?
Feedback – Group Exercise
All the members were taken to the room where 2 panel members were present.
Duration: 30 minutes (20 minutes for discussion and 5-10 minutes for conclusion)
- Draw random scribbles and lines by all members such that no line intersect each other and then derive from the figure what it's depicting and discuss to the panelists about it.
- Develop three ideas on how to utilize time spent in public transportation productively, using internet, AI and VR tools. Candidates were given properties like, charts, sketches, glue, sheets, crayons etc. They need to discuss and draw a model collectively.
- Market a product/service with only pictures and a catchy punchline. Stationary provided - 2 chart papers, 1 pencil, 1 eraser, 1 sharpener, 1 scissor, 1 cello tape roll, 1 30cm ruler, a small pack of crayons, a small pack of sketch pens, 1 packet of small size (about 6"x6") glazed paper, a small pack of sticky notes and 1 retractable utility knife.
- Discuss how the current education system can be changed to make students better citizens and more mature human beings.
Feedback - Personal Interview
No. of Panelists: 2
Excerpt from Interview 1-
Candidate Profile: Fresher, engineer
So you're the last person in this panel. Tell us what are others saying outside? Why do you want to pursue MBA from IMT? What about your placements? Don't you think it's too early? At this time you should be with the company, have some work experience and then pursue MBA? (The candidate mentioned marketing). Can you tell me the 4 Ps of marketing? What is price? What is opportunity cost? What makes you go for marketing? According to you, what is marketing? Name any three personalities which you admire as businessmen? Are you aware of the space launch recently by your favorite Elon Musk? What is the exact name of the spaceship? What's it all about?
Excerpt from Interview 2-
Candidate Profile: B. Tech - Electronics
What is the work of NITI Aayog? Tell us something about GST impact. What is happening in South China sea? Why does Putin get selected every time in Russia? Tell us something about Maldives. (Questions based on current affairs, electronics, HR)
Excerpt from Interview 3-
Candidate Profile: Fresher, mechanical engineer
Why MBA? Why should we select you? (Questions on candidate’s achievements) What are your views on demonetization? What is your choice of specialization? Tell us the difference in construction and running characteristics of petrol and a diesel engine. Do you have any questions for us?
Excerpt from Interview 4-
Candidate Profile: Fresher
So how does it feel like to be the last candidate? Tell me one advantage and one disadvantage of being last. You seem to be coming from a really diverse field. Why MBA then? You passed out in 2015. Please tell us what you did since then. What are your short term goals? What will you do immediately after passing out from IMT? Are you aware of current affairs? What about budget and Indian politics? Okay, so tell me. Trump won the elections in USA even though Hilary Clinton was more popular. Had there been a male in place of her, he would've defeated Trump. What are your thoughts on this? And why are they so? Tell us about Trump's visa policy and how has it affected Indians? Are you sure that what you're saying is correct?