K.J. Somaiya Institute of Management (or KJ SIMSR) is the business school of SomaiyaVidyavihar University. Ranked among the top 60 B-schools of India, KJ SIMSR offers two-year full-time MBA, MBA (Health Care Management), and MBA (Sports Management). In the initial stage, the institute shortlists candidates as per one of the MBA entrance tests. The final merit list is prepared based on the candidates’ entrance test scores, past academic records, work experience, achievements, and performance in selection rounds.
The admission process for MBA admissions ‘22 at KJSIMSR followed the given order:
- Shortlisting (based on CAT/XAT/CMAT/GMAT/NMAT score)
- Personal interview (including Case-Analysis)
Case Analysis (CA) round forms a part of Personal Interview. In this, the candidate was given five minutes to read and think upon a given case. The case was roughly around 300-400 words long. Each case was followed by 2-3 questions based on it. Every candidate had three minutes to answer these questions and two minutes as a part of the discussion with the panel.
This round takes almost 10 minutes. Listed below are some of the CA topics given to the candidates during MBA admissions 2022:
- Information Overload
- Disaster Management
- Pros and Cons of Gig economy – Change in Social Work Culture after pandemic
- Paternity leave in India - How can it help us achieve gender equality?
- Automation - Machines are taking over humans and affecting livelihoods. Answer the related questions:
1) Is automation widening the gap between the number of machines used and humans being replaced?
2) Suggest some measures for how automation should not fully takeover jobs?
3) Is the opportunity cost of replacing machines with humans worth it?
- Legacy of Newspaper - Answer the related questions:
1) Has covidreduced the popularity of newspapers?
2) Should news organizations audit themselves in order to improve?
3) How will newspapers cope with the rise of digital news?
- Are elderly people a burden? Answer the related questions:
1) People who cannot take proper care of their elderly parents should send them to old age homes. Is it justified?
2) Working people send their children to crèche. How is it justified?
3) Is sending elderly people to old age homes a sign of deteriorating values?
- ‘Boom of Edutech from 2015-2019 and the expected rise of 30% till 2025’ faces a problem of credibility due to privatisation and quality of knowledge. Answer the related questions:
1) Is edutech a boon or bane?
2) What measures should be taken to ensure good quality and credibility?
A group of 2-4 interviewers questioned the candidates about their personality traits, career goals, preferences, work experience, and general knowledge. Interviews were generally focused on current happenings. Each interview went on for 10-20 minutes, and most candidates got their CA topic in the start itself. Here are some of the experiences shared by candidates interviewed in 2022:
Background: Work Ex of 4 years
- Tell me about yourself.
- Tell me about two of your weaknesses. How do you plan to work on them?
- What did you learn in your first job? How did you handle the team there?
- Do you think Russia has taken the right approach toward Ukraine?
- Name two business leaders that you admire the most. And why? Tell us about two acquisitions by Tata.
- Why MBA now? Afteryears of work ex?
- Tell me about the 4 Ps. And 7 Ps?
Background: B.Tech, Work Ex of 16 months
- What is the meaning of your name?
- You are an engineer witha workex of almost two years, then why MBA?
- Tell us about your weaknesses. You mentioned public speaking as a weakness, can relate it for me?
- You are working for Libratherm Electronics. Tell me about it. What kind of customers do you provide the service to? Which sectorsdoes your product cater to?
- Is the rise of IoT hampering your company? How are you using IoT for providing service to your customers?
- If there is no internet connection in a remote place, how will the data be transmitted and received?
- You have mentioned in your career goals that you want to work as an operations manager, and in the long-term, you want to open up your own business. Tell us more about it.
- In which area do you want to do MBA? Why Operations?
- What are your hobbies? So, you like to sketch various things, could you show them to us?
Background: B.Tech (CSE)
- Introduce yourself.
- Why MBA after graduation in computer science?
- Which specialization do you prefer in MBA? And why?
- Do you know about IPO? Which new IPOs do you want to invest in? Why do IPOs fail? Why are tech IPOs like Paytm failing? Why wasIRCTC IPO so successful even though it’s a PSU?
- Do you invest? Why inan unstable thing like crypto,and why not stocks?
- Why is FPI in India decreasing?
Background: B.Com, Work Ex of 20 months as Digital Marketing Executive
XAT Percentile: 80
- Where are you from?
- Tell me something about yourself. Tell me something that makes you feel proud for your school. Which type of karate did you play? What is jujutsu, and how is it different from your karate style? How many belt degrees are there? Have you seen the movie karate kid? Which type of karate wasit? What is the difference between Kung Fu and Karate?
- Tell me something about the company you work for. What is your current job role? Before the promotion, what did you doat the job?
- Which MBA specialisationdo you prefer?
- Given the option between a six-year-long work experience and completing MBA from an IIM, what would you choose and why?
- Do you think growing businesses and start-ups are healthy for our ecosystem? Tell me about any recent business news you came across.
- What’s your dream company to work with?
- You prepared for UPSC before. So, would you go for IAS/IPS exam again?
- Tell me about any big marketing company.
- What do you do in your leisure time? Would you like to share any of it with us? Read one of your short poems to us.