The process of selection at KJ Somaiya consists of Essay Writing, Group Discussion, Personal Interview and Extempore.
Feedback - Essay Writing
Average Duration : 15 mins.
Word Limit : 200-300 words
- Growing rate of cars is an indicator of India's growth story.
- Contribution of agriculture in Indian economy.
- Impact of social media on Indian society.
- Domestic violence is an outcome of lack of education.
- Outsourcing in India is shifting from services to manufacturing.
Feedback - Group Discussion
Average Duration : 90 Sec/person + 10 mins
No. of Panelists : 15
No. of Participants : 15
Topics- Same as given for the Essay Writing
KJSIM - Interview Experiences
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration : 10-20 mins
No. of Panelists : 2
Extempore was conducted during the interviews (30sec to think and then 1 min to speak).
- Excerpts From Interview 1 : (A 268 CMAT scorer and 78.6 CAT percentiler with 94.8% in 10th, 89.8% in 12th and 67.6% in B.D.S. and 6 months of work experience with private dental clinic and liking for reading). Tell us about yourself. Why you want to go for MBA after dentistry? What specialization are you interested in and why? (Capitals of a few states of India were asked). Which book did you read recently? What did you like most about it? Comment on a book being converted into a movie? Are you a leader? Justify how? What has been your biggest achievement so far? Who guides you when you are in a problem?
Extempore : Euthanasia
- Excerpts From Interview 2 : (A 92.5 CAT percentiler with 79% in 10th, 60% in 12th and 66% in B.Tech. C.S.E. and a work experience of 4 months). What subjects have you read in engineering? What is software engineering? What is Kernel? How do you develop an OS? What is the difference between LINUX and Windows? How are their business models different? Why do you want to be an entrepreneur? Name a couple of entrepreneurs in India apart from Tatas and Ambanis. Name entrepreneurs specifically from the field of Information Technology apart from Narayanmurthy and Azim Premji.
Extempore : The influence of western culture.
- Excerpts From Interview 3 : (A 93.47 CAT percentiler with 10th -77.41%, 12th -62.40% and B.Tech. Mechanical–8.65 CGPA and is a technical blogger and comes from a business family). Do you play cricket? What is the business of your family business? Do you help your father? Have you ever seen your father in tension? I think to run a business what you need is only money not PGDM, what do you think? Is anybody doing business in your family an MBA? Do you remember your B.Tech subjects? How a rotor rotates? Who is your Role Model? (The candidate was asked some questions based on the paper presented by him in a National Conference on an environment related topic).
Extempore : Global Warming
- Excerpts From Interview 4 : (A 91.5 CAT percentiler from Delhi with 10th -83%, 12th -72% and B.Tech. ECE– 65% and an experience of 1 year in marketing). Tell me something about yourself? What are your interests? What is your work profile in your company? How do you maintain integrity of documents in your company? Why you want to pursue MBA? What is the difference between state and a union territory? How Delhi has a state government and still a union territory? How many states are there in India? What is the capital of Kerala and Jammu and Kashmir? Which states have two states? Which states have same capital? What is the Capital of Karnataka and Gujrat?
- Excerpts From Interview 5 : (A 225 CMAT scorer with 73.4% in10th, 67% in 12th and 71% in B.Tech. Mechanical and a work experience of 26 months in the manufacturing sector). Introduce yourself. Which sector do you think India needs to work on? What can be done in the agriculture sector to boost output? What is PPP? How is ITC boosting agriculture sector? What are your hobbies? Which books have you read? What have you learned from them? What is your take on "communal violence"?
If you have any question, suggestion or feedback, feel free to post it in the discussion box given below.
Other GDPI Preparation Links: