In order to get into a top-tier business school, you need to ace the Common Admission Test (CAT). Once you are
done with that, get ready to take on the further selection rounds that would determine your final admission. And
if you are among the fortunate ones to be likely shortlisted by or already have received a call from the
Department of Management Studies (DMS), IIT Delhi, arm yourself for the next challenge. Now that you are set
against candidates with a wide range of skills and experience, use your skills to secure the coveted admission
seat for MBA program.
The objective of a B-school's admissions procedure is to evaluate whether or not the applicant's
educational and professional experiences are commensurate with the requirements of the MBA course curriculum.
The candidate's knowledge, attitude, competency, and other vital traits required for the associated
professions are examined by the selection panel.
About DMS, IIT-D
DMS (Department of Management Studies) of the reputed IIT (Indian Institute of Technology) in Delhi was
established in 1993. It offers a general MBA and an MBA in Telecom, as well as executive and doctoral programs
in management. The department’s programmes are designed to foster well-rounded managers. Its illustrious
teaching staff is backed up by a roster of seasoned experts from India and outside who serve as adjunct
instructors. DMS is known to have produced many successful entrepreneurs.
Selection Process at DMS, IIT-D
DMS mainly uses the scores of CAT exam to narrow down applications, and also takes into account factors like,
gender diversity, job experience, academic records, etc. Besides, the graduates of IITs and NITs are given
additional weightage. The shortlisted candidates are then called for the personal interview round. Prior
to covid-19, a written ability test (WAT) round was also included in the selection process.
Topics Given in IIT-D’s WAT
Candidates are given a topic and allowed 30 minutes to complete the write-up for it. In this time frame, they are
able to write around 300 words. WAT topics are timely and relevant to the corporate, economic, and social
communities. Some of these are also philosophical and abstract in nature. Listed below are some of the WAT
topics allotted during DMS admissions of previous years:
- What criteria would you use to determine if a startup is worth investing in this period of rapid
- Future of Cryptocurrency in India
- Big Data
- Diplomatic ties between India and other countries
- Arguments for and against a cashless society
IIT Delhi - MBA Interview Experiences
Questions Asked in IIT-D MBA Interviews
Two or three panellists question the candidates about their values, job profile, academic history,
interests and goals. In some rare cases, the interviewers probe into the provided explanations. In the
interview, certain questions relate to general knowledge and current events. All interviews took 10-20 minutes
on average. The following are actual interview questions faced by candidates at DMS:
Personality Traits & Goals
- How do you hope to contribute as a teacher?
- Tell me about a typical day in your life.
- How many more IIT calls do you have scheduled?
- Please share information with me that is not included in the application.
- Explain your greatest area of weakness.
- Rather than also applying to IIT Madras, why did you simply apply to IIT Delhi?
- What makes IIT better than other IIMs?
Hobbies & Extra-Curriculars
- Which football league do you follow?
- You are interested in music. So, tell me, who is John Lennon? Provide the names of at least two of his
Academics & Work Experience
- Explain what it is that you do for a living. In what ways will you make certain that your employees are
- What exactly is the definition of elasticity? Do a graph.
- If you raise the price, what happens to demand?
- Is blockchain a method or a technology?
- To what extent can one's salary be capped, exactly?
- You seem good with numbers; how do you intend to use that knowledge to evaluate electoral outcomes? For
what purpose is this information being provided?
Current Events & General Awareness
- What are the functions of RBI?
- Who is the minister of trade?
- How lucrative would it be for Tesla to set up in India?
- Where exactly is the United Nations HQ situated?
- What do you know about the fundamentals of monetary policy?
- Give me the name of a female cabinet member who is not the minister of finance.