The selection process at IIM I consists of essay writing (WAT) followed by a personal interview round (includes an extempore).
Feedback – Essay Writing (WAT)
Duration: 30 minutes
Word Limit: 300 words
- Should State intervene in the following of traditions by the people? Give your analysis of the situation.
- According to some, if people are allowed raise their voice against the accepted norms it leads to chaos and then some believe that the freedom to speak your opinion brings out a cohesive environment. What is your stance?
- Nuclear weapon testing is considered to be dangerous. It is a deterrent for war.
- Gender diversity is outdated
- Is India ready for smart cities?
- Liquor Ban: Effect on Economy
- In India, the development of new and expensive mode of transportation such as bullet train should be put on hold till the existing systems of public transport are improved. Your view?
- Challenges faced by youngsters because of social media.
- It is often seen that if you ban a certain activity, you are increasing the likelihood of that activity being carried out underground. The same argument is being debated to legalize marijuana in Universities. Do you agree or disagree?
- Artificial Intelligence is taking over jobs. What are your views on this? Give examples to support your points.
- Indian education system focuses only on academic excellence not social, emotional and psychological development.
Other Extempore topics:
Duration: 30 seconds to think, 1-1.5 minutes to speak
- If Mumbai was capital city of India
- India currently has many political parties. What would be the effects of a two party system in the country?
- Future of smart cities
- Driverless car
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration: 10-20 minutes
No. of Panelists: 3
Excerpt from Interview 1-
Candidate Profile: B.Tech (Electrical), fresher
Introduce yourself. What are Transformer tests? What are Transformer losses? What is single line diagram of transmission and distribution? What is Hysteresis and its curve? What is the installed power capacity of India? Difference between renewable and non-renewable? What are different renewable energies in India? What is the installed capacity of renewable energy? Which is the biggest solar power plant in India? What is the number of nuclear power plants in India? Do you know the basic equations of curve? (Some questions on Rajya Sabha, Lok Sabha, number of seats and nominated candidates proportions)
Extempore: As power minister of India wanting to move towards the renewable energy, what steps will you take?
Excerpt from Interview 2-
Candidate Profile: B.Tech, Work Experience as digital marketer
Why did you choose biotechnology? You have studied electronics in your Engineering, how is electronics used in biotechnology. What all lab experiments have you done in biotechnology? You have studied maths in engineering, what all topics did you study? Can you write the Fourier series? What do you know about Durgapur? What industries are around Durgapur? Which industry is Kanpur famous for? Has the growth of this industry increased or decreased now? What is the reason of its decrease? What chemical was being used in these industries? Do you know about the process called tanning? Calculate th value of pi through this paper (given a paper). What is paid search? What do you do as a digital marketer? How much do we pay if we bid $3? Why does Google charge less, is it a charity? Where is second price bid auction used and why?
Extempore: What if everyone has the same face?
Excerpt from Interview 3-
Candidate Profile: B.Tech (Electrical), working in an NGO
What is quantum physics? Einstein won noble price for what? What is gravitational waves? What are smart cities? Who was the first director and last vice chancellor of IIT Roorkee? Who was Thomson (the founder of IITR)? Why are you working in an NGO in a managerial profile after doing engineering? Tell us about your organisation and work profile. What is the current rating of switch boards in the room.? Why are there switch boards with higher rating? What is the relationship of power voltage and current? What is power factor? What is smart grid?
Extempore: What is the significance of Statue of Unity?
Excerpt from Interview 4-
Candidate Profile: B.Tech (CSE), Work Experience
Tell me about yourself. So you are from Gujarat. Who is the chief minister of Gujarat? What is the political condition in Gujarat? Do you know about Hardik Patel? What were those protests about? So, Do you know the reason why he is protesting? Why do they need reservations? So, Brahmins can also ask for reservations? Have you heard of someone with the surname Mevani? Do you know how many people took CAT this time? So, 50k didn't write the exam? Are you sure? What about JEE? How many people write JEE? How many people take AIEEE? Do you know BRTS? Then what about Kalupur? Isn't there traffic in that area with BRTS? Explain the concept. Do you know some people find the incentive to break the common Lane and go to BRTS lane. Why do they do that? So what happens during the peak hours? What happens to the BRTS lane? Don't you think this is a problem? So, can you relate the BRTS situation to your cloud business? The ETL which you do? How does cloud decide when to increase or decrease the servers? Consider that you are a cloud Engineer with AWS itself. So, as a cloud Engineer in Amazon, explain how this process happens? In cloud there is a famous known ratio called the peak to average ratio. Tell us something about it. What does ETL stand for? What is transform in ETL? Why do we need it? What is your favourite subject in B.tech? Do you know what tower of hanoi is? Okay what other data structures are there? What is the application of these? application in systems programming?
Google - the only God