The selection process at IIM I consists of WAT followed by Personal Interviews.
Feedback- Essay Writing/WAT
Average Duration: 20-30 mins
- Our PM has taken the initiative for skill building and vocational training. What steps will you follow to achieve this idea?
- Make for India vs Make in India, give your views.
- Reluctance of foreign companies in establishing their offices in India despite assurances by Govt. of India. Reasons? Suggestions for improvement.
- It asked out suggestions about the education reforms and the skill-set development that our PM has planned and how can our thoughts contribute towards its success.
- Businesses cannot be run on undemocratic principles. Give your opinion.
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration: 15-20 mins.
No. of Panelists: 3-5
- Excerpts from Interview 1: (A 96.05%iler in CAT with B. Tech in IT (9.27 CGPA), 76% in 12th and 86.83% in 10th). Introduce yourself. How does politics influence students’ community? Questions on current affairs. Questions on extra-curricular. What are your strengths? Asked to justify with personal examples. What are the subjects studied in graduation? Asked to explain 6-7 subjects out of them. What is normalization? What is data structure? What is the difference between IT and computer science? Questions on algorithm and design. Questions on managerial economics and business management.
- Excerpts from Interview 2: Tell us something about yourself. Academics based question. What's the correlation between inflation and GDP? How is the monetary policy influenced by expectations? Define marketing. Define positioning. Positioning of Apple, positioning of Samsung? What do you like to do in your free time? Who holds the weightlifting record currently? (Hobby based question) Do you follow cricket religiously? (Hobby based question). Who's the number one test team currently? Where's the world cup being held? What's the capital of Australia? Who won the Bharat Ratna this year? What's the second highest civilian honor in our country? Did you have statistics or mathematics in your graduation, would you mind if we asked some questions on that? Define mean, median, mode. When is the mean, median and mode same? Difference between standard deviation and standard error? Difference between mean and median? How is mean calculated? How is mode calculated? How is mean calculated in case of even numbers? What's standard distribution?
- Excerpts from Interview 3: How many National Highways (NHs) are in the country? What is Golden Quadrilateral? (and other related questions). Why is Toll tax collected? How is the rate of Toll determined? Do you think Toll Plazas tend to create a bottleneck on highways? What does RFID stand for? How does it operate? Your views and reasons on Toll plaza vandalism in Maharashtra? Why management?
- Excerpts from Interview 4: About your work. Why CFA? What is cash flow statement? Why is it needed? What is NPA ? Standard deviation. What is a modem and a router. Client side architecture? Linear programming? What the EFF? What is bluetooth? WiFi and VLSI? Number of chips that can be fitted on a wafer?
- Excerpts from Interview 5: Tell me about yourself? Why employees in Infosys are not satisfied? What is DHCP and what it does? What is TCP? How it works? How will you send data from a high speed net connection to a low speed? How many IITs in India? States which don't have IITs? States which have both IITs and IIMs? What is market capitalization? What is the market capitalization of Infosys? You don’t know much about markets. How will you do MBA? You don't invest in stocks? What is GDP? How Sensex and GDP are related? How are Tamara resorts related to you? A scientist who got Bharat Ratna?
- Excerpts from Interview 6 : Tell me something you have done in your life which has changed you completely ? why do you want to do MBA? Even the things you do at TCS will help you establish your company. You know the strength of your company? Which Entrepreneur do you idolize? Were they MBA? Do you know the difference between B.E. and B.Tech? The difference between Engineering and Technology? What did you learn in Engineering? Your Favorite subject? Questions on favorite subject. Tell me one more subject, which you love? Now let’s talk about Current affairs. What is happening in Bihar? So what are your hobbies?
- Excerpts from Interview 7 : So you have finished CA. Why MBA? CA is not good enough? Why, CA's don't get into management? What are you doing now? Imagine your client is a tech start up. Tell me about the accounting treatment of software development costs. Explain IRR to me as though I am a layman. Give me a numerical example. You have assumed all cash outflows happen at T0, what happens if they happen in between? You don't see all this in non structured CFO services? So you have studied Economics? You have done B.Com right? I am going to ask you something very basic only. What is a perfectly competitive market? What do you mean by "very large number"? Question on Price Equilibrium. What did you do in Deloitte for 3 years then? What is this Fair Value Accounting? Why is it such a big deal? Give me the exact definition of Fair Value as per IFRS. Tell me about IAS 39. How many Indian accounting standards are there? What are the 3 recommendatory standards? Isn't IAS 39 is the first and most basic thing you learn? Tell me what Hedge Fund is. Respond to this statement. "Corporate Governance in India is at an all time low, because of unethical CA's such as you".Tell me about Satyam Case. Did those deposits exist? So, Congress Party is the oldest in India? Who was the longest serving President? Any questions for us?
If you have any question, suggestion or feedback, feel free to post it in the discussion box given below.
Other GDPI Preparation Links: