The process of selection at IIT BOMBAY consists of a Case Study followed by a Personal Interview.
Feedback - Case Study
Average Duration : 15 mins
No. of Panelists : 3
- General case about a guy who started his music company long back and was worried about communication gap due to expansion.
- Mr. Sharma owner of multimillion dollar enterprise feeling a communication gap in staff due to which problems are occurring and the work is not done properly.
- A person has started a new business in music cassette industry and acquired large business share. His competitors ask him to stop quoting the prices so low. What should he do?
- The case was about a supervisor Suresh Kumar for a distribution firm who had appointed a new young technical graduate, Sameer, for managing the workers in the offload process as he was facing problems as workers were not motivated and were not doing their work properly. Also they were taking frequent breaks. Sameer tried to motivate them but they didn't listen and the end result was that he was boycotted from their social activities. There was a senior worker named Shankar Dada, who spoke to Sameer and Sameer told him that he was happy that he was leaving the job as he did not want to become like one of them. To this Shankar retaliated that if you would have been here for long, you would have become one of us. It was followed by two questions:
1) Was the supervisor encouraging or discouraging the workers at their job
2) Was Shankar Dada's statement right or wrong?
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration : 10-15 mins.
No. of Panelists : 3
- Excerpts From Interview 1 : What are your plans after MBA? What are wireless networks? Chandigarh is a planned city: How will you build such a city in Mumbai? What is your role in the Entrepreneurship Development Circle of your college? (student was a member). How will you make IIT- B's campus Wi-Fi enabled? What project you did in the final semester? Have you achieved something in life so far? How could you achieve this? Why IIT Mumbai? Why is Chandigarh a UT? Why is it the capital of two states?What kind of books do you read? You said you want to become a social entrepreneur, have you heard about e-chopal? Any other social entrepreneur venture that you can talk about in India
- Excerpts From Interview 2 : Tell something about yourself. Why are you leaving your job? What is your profile in the job? Name some major car manufacturing plants outside Bangalore? Why IT? Tell something about your final year project. What is excise duty? What is inflation? What is its current rate? What is the inflation rate in US? What is sub-prime crisis? What is mean, median and mode? What is the relation between these three? What are direct and indirect taxes? Comment on this year’s budget.
- Excerpts From Interview 3 : Tell something about yourself which is not mentioned in the form. Why MBA? Difference between revenue and profit? What is carbon trading? How is quality measured at your job? On which platform do you work? How does Face Book earn profits? But there are no advertisements on Face book? What are your major hobbies? How many districts are there in Punjab? What are the essential qualities that a good programming code should have? Why is C known as C and not A, B or D or E etc? Explain C++ in a layman's language.
If you have any question, suggestion or feedback, feel free to post it in the discussion box given below.
Other GDPI Preparation Links: