The process of selection at IIT BOMBAY consists of Case Study followed by Personal Interview.
Feedback - Case Study
Average Duration : 15 minutes.
No. of Panelists : 3
- The case was about a FMCG company which gives very expensive training to 9 of its executives. One of the executives later leaves the company since he doesn't get a good position in the organization and gets a lucrative offer from a rival. Q1. What should his manager do in this case? Q2. What should the company do to avoid such problems?
- The case study was about a couple of guys who are good friends, of whom one gets promoted to become a supervisor. Now the other guy has been coming late recently and the supervisor doesn't say anything for the first couple of times but on the third time gives him a written notice. The question was how would you handle such a situation and what is more important - "to be tough and nice" or "to be nice and tough?"
- The case was about a supervisor Suresh Kumar for a distribution firm who had appointed a new young technical graduate, Sameer, for managing the workers in the offload process as he was facing problems as workers were not motivated and were not doing their work properly. Also they were taking frequent breaks. Sameer tried to motivate them but they didn't listen and the end result was that he was boycotted from their social activities.
- There was a senior worker named Shankar Dada, who spoke to Sameer and Sameer told him that he was happy that he was leaving the job as he did not want to become like one of them. To this Shankar retaliated that if you would have been here for long, you would have become one of us. It was followed by two questions: 1.) Was the supervisor encouraging or discouraging the workers at their job 2.) Was Shankar Dada's statement right or wrong?
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration : 10-12 minutes.
No. of Panelists : 2
- Excerpts From Interview 1 : Tell us something about yourself? Why did you leave Amdocs and join a firm in marketing? So, after completing MBA, would you go back to the IT Industry? Why do you want to pursue MBA and not an M.E. or an M.Tech? Tell us about the investments that Maharashtra has done in agriculture? What is the growth rate of agriculture in the last one year in Maharashtra? What is image processing? What are the steps that you would follow to transform a B/W video to a colored one? What would you have done as the Head of Army in the wake of 26/11 attacks? What are your major hobbies?
- Excerpts From Interview 2 : Tell us something about yourself? What is the vision statement of SJSOM? What is excise duty? What is inflation? What is its current rate? What is the inflation rate in US? What is subprime crisis? Tell us something about what happened to Lehman Brothers? Who were the major competitors of Lehman Brothers? What is mean, median and mode? What is the relation between these three? Draw the normal distribution curve? What do you mean by supply chain management? What are direct and indirect taxes? What are the specialties of Maharashtra?
If you have any question, suggestion or feedback, feel free to post it in the discussion box given below.
Other GDPI Preparation Links: