The process of selection at SCMHRD consists of two rounds of Essay Writing (WAT), a Group Exercise, a Group/Case Discussion and a Personal Interview. It also includes a Technical Ability Test for applicants of MBA (Business Analytics).
Feedback - Essay Writing (WAT)
Total Duration: 30 Minutes
First round of WAT:
Word limit: 250
- “The demand side should be kept going. For this, we need to get money in the hands of people who need it, people who will spend money now and in hands of poor people.” Write in favor or against the sentence.
- Industrial Revolution 4.0
- “Automation will be a salvation for working men”. Write in favor or against the statement.
- Is India on the brink of innovation with its large working population? Or not?
- Taxation based on carbon footprint.
Second round of WAT:
Word limit: 200
In this round, candidates were shown two images. They were asked to interpret and write about them by connecting both the images. Also, they were to give it a topic name. Some of them were:
- Image 1: A person standing in the podium in front of a crowd
Image 2: A chess pawn, and in its shadow was an image of king
- Image 1: A single light bulb amidst a swarm of broken ones
Image 2: A butterfly divided into 2 halves, one half was black and the other was in colour.
Feedback - Technical Ability Test
This is also called a Technical WAT. It is conducted for candidates who applied for MBA (BA).
Duration: 60 minutes
The test comprised of 16 questions. There were 3-4 questions from probability, 2-3 questions on pseudo code, 1 question on matrices/surface area and 3-4 questions from statistics i.e. correlation coefficient, histogram, scatter plot, variance, standard deviation etc.
SCMHRD - Interview Experiences
Feedback – GE and GD/CD
Total Duration: 40 minutes
No. of participants: 6-7
Duration: 2 minutes to think, 1 minute to speak individually, 10 minutes to discuss & present in last 2 minutes.
- Candidates were shown us a video of 2 minutes. Then asked to discuss and reach a consensus.
- Given 7 newspaper headlines. Candidates were asked to choose 4, connect them and narrate their story individually. In the end the whole group had to decide the 4 headlines together and give a presentation on how they are connected. Chart papers, sketch pens, white board, etc, were provided for preparing presentation.
- Given a case study about fairness cream’s ad campaign in South Africa. The ad showed the model getting fairer by using the cream, but people misinterpreted it as racism. Suggest some ways in which the company could have handled the problem and the ad campaign.
- Case study around ‘Telecom Sector Crisis’.
- Should government promote courses beyond science and management?
- In order to lessen congestion on roads, should government levy taxes on people buying personal vehicles?
Feedback - Personal Interview
Duration: 10-12 minutes
No. of panelists: 2
Excerpt from Interview 1-
Candidate Profile: Work Experience of 1 year in IT
Give us a brief introduction about yourself. You have not written anything about your work in form. Why? Tell us more about what you do. So, how will you use analytics for employee retention? What are the data points that you will collect for retention? Who was the CEO of Infosys? So, he made a ‘Work from home’ policy which retained many employees. Tell us what kind of policies? (some questions related to analytics) Since you know python and tableau then why not be a data scientist? Why MBA? (Given a case study to discuss a problem statement and suggest solution.)
Excerpt from Interview 2-
Candidate Profile: Work Experience in Digital Marketing
How are you feeling? Tell me about the journey. So, what have you learned through this journey? Tell me 3 things. Do you have health insurance? How did you come to Pune? Did you get the insurance? So, how did you learn from your experience? If your family told you to not take up an MBA, will you listen to them? Tell me the subjects of Marketing. You have gone through the website, right? Tell me the full form of SCMHRD? When was it founded? Say I am from BJP and want to beat AAP in Delhi, what would you as a Digital Marketer do to help me? I only have 10 days till the election! What would you do then? Do you know what UpGrad is? Why? (Given a case study about a brick and mortar toy store losing to an online toy store. Candidate was asked to suggest ways to beat the competition.)
Excerpt from Interview 3-
Candidate Profile: Economics Background, Fresher
What is the meaning of your name? Tell me something about yourself which is not mentioned in the form. Are you aware of latest Union Budget? (some specific questions on the same) Tell us about your internship. Have you ever received a negative feedback from anyone? Was there something that you didn’t like about our WAT-GD-PI process and its conduct? (Given a case study about a YouTube channel) What strategy will you make as a creative head to restore the popularity of this channel? (The sheet with a flowchart was given and the candidate had to elaborate on it).