Once you have demonstrated your ability to perform well in the entrance tests like CAT, the next task is to clear the subsequent selection rounds. And if you wish to be selected by the reputed Department of Management Studies (DoMS), IIT Madras, you should begin preparing in a focused way in order to get admission to its MBA programme. At this stage, you will have to compete with people who are just as smart and talented as you are.
Business schools follow a stringent admissions process to ensure that only the most suitable students are accepted. The panel utilises a host of screening tools to determine whether or not an applicant possesses the skills and background knowledge necessary to succeed in management education.
About DoMS, IIT Madras
In 2004, the Department of Management Studies (DoMS) was established at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Madras, to facilitate the MBA programme. It was the first IIT to admit non-engineering students to its MBA course. The department also offers EMBA, PhD, and MDPs. In addition, the department extends PGPEX - VLM (Post Graduate Program For Executives For Visionary Leadership in Manufacturing) in collaboration with IIT Kanpur and IIM Calcutta.
Selection Process at DoMS, IIT Madras
In the first stage, DoMS shortlisted candidates as per their CAT scores, past academic performance, work experience, academic diversity, and gender diversity. Then these candidates have to take a personal interview round. The process may also include a written ability test (WAT). Finally, a merit list of selected candidates is put up as the composite score of the candidates, which integrates their performance in PI, CAT, and overall profile.
Besides, the CAT scores of IIT graduates with a CGPA of 8 and above are not required.
Questions Asked in IIT-M MBA Interviews
Each applicant is interviewed by a panel of two people. The panellists put forth questions about their candidate’s background, interests, and preferences. Most candidates perceive the interview as manageable, and there are a good number of questions pertaining to academics. Certain questions are about the candidate’s native place and community. Typically, every interview goes on for 20-30 minutes. Glance through the DoMS interview questions of the recent sessions:
IIT Madras - MBA Interview Experiences
Academics & Work Experience
- Why did you decide to do engineering?
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of working at your current place of employment.
- Tell me about two startup companies led by CEOs who also held an MBA.
- Which undergraduate subject did you like the most, and why?
Current Events & General Awareness
- Who serves as governor of the RBI?
- Who is the Minister of Trade and Commerce?
- What is meant by the monetary policy? How often does it get written up?
- What is the economic survey? Where can I find it in print, and who publishes it?
- You are from Uttar Pradesh. In light of the decision about the Ram Mandir, what are your thoughts on the matter? Was it the best possible verdict?
- Who is the president of Ukraine? Before he became president, what was his profession?
- Describe the town you grew up. Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam was a native of your city. Have you heard of him?
- Can you compare and contrast the two legislatures and tell me what you think the similarities and differences are? How are legislators to the Rajya Sabha and Lok Sabha chosen?
- Give me the lowdown on the most recent company developments.
- A few days ago, prices started rising. Can you explain the reason?
Personality Traits & Goals
- Do you have any other calls coming up? Which B-school would you attend if you could convert all of them?
- You are in the last year of your college; why rush? I'm curious about your motivation for pursuing an MBA so quickly. Don’t you think you will be competing against people who already have work experience?
- There is a plethora of engineering graduates enrolling in MBA programmes. Why is it sp? Do they make better managers?
Hobbies & Extra-Curriculars
- I was wondering whether you have heard anything interesting about chess recently?
- Who do you think will end up as IPL champions? How come? Are you a fan of the women's World Cup?