The process of selection at IIT Madras consists of a Group Discussion followed by Essay writing on the same topic followed by a Personal Interview.
Feedback- Group Discussion
Average Duration: 20 mins. (2-3 min to think, 15 min to discuss)
No. of Panelists : 3
No. of Participants : 13
- Are smaller states easy to govern?
- Assume that you are the member of the Central Education Department. Suggest some reforms in the Engineering Education in India.
- What should be done in a situation where in an arrogant and a rude boss refuses to give appraisals to his employees. What should be done in such a situation?
Feedback – Essay Writing
Average Duration : 5 mins.
Same as GD topics written above.
Rules : The essay should not be written in the bullet points but in paragraphs. One paragraph on what was discussed by the group, another on your view points and the last one on conclusion.
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration : 10-20 mins.
No. of Panelists : 2
- Excerpts From Interview 1 : (A 97.97 CAT percentiler with 89% in 10th, 86% in 12th and 76.52% in B.E. ECE). Tell me something about yourself. Tell me about your final year project. Tell me about your childhood memories. Have you been to south India ever? So do you like South Indian food? Why are you interested in MBA? Who is your role model? What is a sensor? What is a transducer? How are digital signals used in communication? What are different modes of communication? What is 4G? What are the success factors of communication? What is Bernoulli’s theorem?
- Excerpts From Interview 2 : (A 93.17 percentiler with 87% in 10th, 80% in 12th and 70% in B. Tech). Introduce yourself. Which company did you work for? Who is its CEO? What is its business model? How did your company overcome recession? Who are your clients? What HR policy does your company has which suits you? (In the end roughly five questions were asked on Calculus).
- Excerpts From Interview 3 : (A 98.5 CAT percentiler with 10th -92%, 12th -81%, and B. Tech.- 61.14%). Why are your scores declining? What is the application of practical knowledge in real life? What happened in the crash on the world trade center and why the building instead of tilting to the side as usually happens had come down straight? What is stock market and what is its effect on the economy? Why is the stock market important? What would happen if there was no stock market? What is the meaning of sensex? What is the difference between BSE and NSE?
- Excerpts From Interview 4 : (A 98.20 CAT percentiler with 10th -91.2%, 12th-91.8% and B.Tech. ECE -80.06% and interest in playing badminton. Had even played at the national level). Introduce yourself. What did you do after completing your Engineering? What is your favorite subject? What are the advantages of digital over analog? How do we convert analog signals to digital? Show the temperature of this room through a graph and then covert that into a digital signal. Write any equation regarding this conversion. What are your hobbies?
If you have any question, suggestion or feedback, feel free to post it in the discussion box given below.
Other GDPI Preparation Links: