Personal Interview forms an essential part of selection process in most of the B-schools. The interviewers intend to gauge through your personality traits and required skills. The purpose of the interview is to assess your suitability for an MBA program in their institution. Given below is a mock interview and other top interview questions that are commonly asked in B-schools.
- Tell me about yourself?
Ans: Good morning Sir.
First of all, Thanks for giving me an opportunity to introduce myself.
I'm Vijay Dinanath Chauhan. Born and brought up in Hyderabad.
Coming to my education qualifications, I have completed my schooling from Army school R K. Puram and Intermediate from Kendriya Vidhyalaya Bolarum and lastly I have pursued my graduation from St.Mary's Centenary Degree College Secunderabad. I'm a fresher and I don't have much practical knowledge but I am eager to learn new things at different positions.
As far as my family background is concerned, we are 4 members in my family including me. My father is in Army, my mother is a primary school teacher and my younger sister is pursuing graduation.
Apart from studies, I'm very good in the field of sports. I am a football player and have played Nationals and represented Hyderabad. I am an also an avid reader.
That's all about me Sir.
- What is your greatest weakness?
Ans: My weak point is that I easily believe people and I am short tempered person but I am working on that to improve this.
- What kind of books do you read? What was the last book you read?
Ans: I like reading books from multiple genres, but I am particularly fond of reading non-fictional, historical or documentary books. The last book I read was Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah Harari. It is an excellent thought provoking epic narration of nearly 13.5 billion years of life's existence on earth. It also talks of three major revolutions shaped by humans - cognitive, agricultural and scientific.
- Who has inspired you in your life and why?
Ans: Of all the people who have inspired me, I have to say that Jonas Salk ranks at the top of the list. Not only was he a brilliant scientist, but more importantly, he used his genius and dedication to develop a product (in the form of a life-saving vaccine) that saved thousands of lives and prevented untold suffering, instead of seeking personal profit like so many others would have.
- Give us a reason why we should admit you?
Ans:Sir, I am a confident and dynamic individual who is very focused and committed to my work. I have proven this through my excellent academic record as given in my application. During the captain ship of my National's Football team, I developed healthy leadership and team-building skills. I believe given my past accomplishments and my profile, I would be an appropriate fit for your prestigious institute. I would endeavor to bring high laurels to your reputed name.
- What are your short-term career goals?
Ans: Coming to my career goal, my short term goal is to get admission into the MBA program offered by your reputed Institute to learn more about management.
- What are your long-term career goals?
Ans: My long term goal is to achieve a good position in a reputed multinational firm, name and fame in a reputed organization.
Other Important Interview Questions:
- How do you define success and how do you measure up to your own definition?
- Can you work under pressure?
- Where do you see yourself five years from now?
- What kinds of people do you find it difficult to work with?
- Why do you think should we take you for our MBA program?
- What three words would you choose to best describe yourself?
- Are you a better planner or implementer?
- Tell me about your dream job/company?
- Are you willing to work overtime?
- What suggestion/s have you made in your previous job that was implemented?
- Would you rather work for money or job satisfaction?
- Describe your work ethics.
- Why do you want to join this College/B-school?
- Why MBA?
- What are your hobbies and interests?
- Do you prefer to work independently or in a team?
- Describe a difficult situation/project and how you overcame it?
- Describe a time when your workload was heavy and how you handled it?