MBA interview questions are based on a range of areas, including personal values, interpersonal skills, management acumen, leadership qualities, etc. Here, we have listed out popular personal and interpersonal questions asked in MBA interviews.
Importance of Personal/ Interpersonal Interview Questions for MBA
Interview is an essential part of the selection process in most of the B-schools. The purpose of an interview is to evaluate various personality traits, skills and experiences of the candidates, which is why personal and interpersonal skills-based questions are commonly asked. The interviewers intend to assess the suitability of the candidates for the MBA program in their institution. The focus is more on the expression and mental clarity of the interviewee than mere factual knowledge.
Personal and Personality-based Interview Questions for MBA
Such questions can be further categorised into various aspects of an individual's persona. As per different subcategories, we have presented the most popular personality-related questions for MBA interviews:
- Tell me about yourself/What would you like us to know about you that is not mentioned in your resume?
- What are the three most important events/incidents of your life?
- What are your three major accomplishments/achievements in life?
- Where did you grow up?
- What were you doing during this gap of time that is mentioned in your resume?
- What is that one experience in your life that you would want to go back and change?
- Describe yourself in three words.
- How would your friends describe you?
- Have you set any new goals for yourself recently?
- What are your five to ten-year career goals?
- What are your career and educational goals?
- How would you like your lasting impression to be?
- What are your career options right now?
- Do you have a final statement?
- What are your career options right now?
- How do you think you have improved your career path?
- What does ‘success’ mean to you?
- What does ‘failure’ mean to you?
- What is more important to you: money or the type of job?
- Who do you admire? Why?
- What are you passionate about?
- Who is your hero and why?
- What are your strongest abilities?
- What is your biggest weakness?
- Give an example of something that you have done that shows initiative-taking ability?
- What have you disliked in your past jobs?
- What is that one quality that makes you stand out among your peers?
- What major problem have you encountered and how did you deal with it?
- Have you ever faced any failures? What did you learn from them?
- Can you work on several assignments simultaneously?
- What has been your greatest challenge?
- Are you creative? Give me an example. What have you done that you consider creative?
Management and Interpersonal Interview Questions for MBA
Interpersonal skills and management/leadership traits are a must for an MBA aspirant, since the B-school curriculum is built around enhancing similar proficiency. As per the different categories, we have listed here the top interpersonal questions in MBA interview:
Management and leadership skills:
- Define leadership.
- Give me an example of a leadership role that you have played when not everything went as planned.
- Why management? Why this institute? How do you know that management interests you?
- Can business and ethics go together?
- What qualities should a successful manager possess? Do you have these attributes?
- What is management?
- How do you think it will help you? What are your career goals?
- Tell me how it will help you in business decision process?
- Suppose you have an assured monthly salary because of which you don’t face any compulsion to work, what would you do then?
- With management you are closing options and you will be serving only the corporate section?
- Would you still like to do an MBA?
- Have you ever managed a conflict? How?
- What kinds of people do you like to work with?
- Define cooperation.
- What kinds of people you cannot work with?
- Have you ever spoken before a group of people? How large?
FAQs about MBA Interview Questions
1. What are the basic questions asked in MBA interview?
The most common questions in B-school interviews are related to your introduction, profile, academic background, and work experience.
2. What is the best answer for 'why MBA'?
There is no one best answer for 'why MBA'. It mainly depends upon your interests, skills, and other contribution and suitability for the MBA programme, offered by the institute.
3. How can I prepare for MBA interview questions and answers?
To prepare for MBA interview, you must analyse your strengths, weaknesses, skills, and experiences, and be ready to present them convincingly. Also, you need to be aware of the fundamentals of your academic subjects.
4. Are MBA interviews important?
Yes, interviews play a very important role in MBA admission process. The final selection is determined by the candidate's interview performance, apart from other factors.
5. How can I start my self-introduction?
Your introduction should start with your name, followed by your academic background, experiences, and skills.