VMware Selection Process
VMware follows a series of 4-5 rounds to recruit candidates for various roles. The campus recruitment procedure comprises of an online test, followed by 3-4 interviews. The panel sets a minimum eligibility criteria of 7 CGPA for appearing in the online round. Given below are the kinds of interviews conducted by VMware:
VMware Interview Rounds
- Technical Interviews
- HR & Managerial Interviews
Given below are some of the experiences and prospective interview questions for aspiring candidates:
VMware Interview: Experience 1
Candidate background: Final year student of B.Tech (CSE)
Job Profile: Developer>
The candidate gave an online written test consisting of general aptitude, technical aptitude, and coding. After clearing the test, the candidate was called for the technical round.
Technical Interview 1
The panel started the interview by asking a few introductory questions. Then, the candidate was asked the following questions:
- Given a number n, find a number k such that k % j = j – 1 for j = 2 to n. For example, for n = 3, k = 5; for n = 4, k = 11. The solution is to find LCM of all numbers from 2 to n. Also, write code for it.
- Model a database design for the College Placement system. What is your choice of database?
- Explain the balancing of B-trees. What are the balancing procedures for Red-Black trees and AVL trees?
- Compare mergesort and quicksort. Tell us their advantages and disadvantages. What are the possible approaches to improve their time complexities?
- Given a simple chemical reaction. Balance it. What data structures would you use? Which approach would you adopt solve this programmatically?
In the end, the discussion moved to a few queries on candidate’s projects. The interview lasted for 60-70 minutes.
Technical Interview 2
This interview began with a few questions on candidate’s resume. The interviewers put some specific questions regarding the candidate’s projects. Given below are some of the major questions asked in the interview:
- What is the need for Big Data? Explain the entire working of a MapReduce program.
- What sorting algorithm would you use in the shuffle-and-sort phase of MapReduce? Sort an array using mergesort by hand and model a Map-Reduce algorithm for mergesort.
- Write a code for merging two sorted linked lists. Optimize the space and also, write a recursive solution for the same.
- How does a web crawler works?
- Draw the OSI stack and explain the various layers. List all the protocols for each of the layers. Explain HTTP and IP. How does the sliding window protocol works? Design a sliding window protocol of your own, in a logical manner.
The interview went on for almost 60 minutes. The candidate qualified for the third round, i.e. managerial round.
In the third interview round, the candidate appeared for a managerial interview. The following questions were asked thereon:
- Why VMware?
- Where do you see yourself in two years?
- Do you have plans for future studies?
- Tell me about some failures that you faced in life and how did you deal with them?
- How would you deal with team conflicts?
Lastly, the interview asked brief questions on candidate’s choice of projects and other information given in the resume. The interview was over in 30 minutes.
This was the final round of selection. After some scrutiny, the candidate was asked to come for the HR interview. Given below are the questions asked in this round:
- Introduce myself.
- What do your friends think of you?
- Tell me about your family background.
- What offers are you currently holding?
- What if you don’t get the offer?
The interview ended in around 10 minutes.
VMware Interview: Experience 2
Candidate background: Final year student of B.Tech
Job Profile: Developer
(After the online test and a coding discussion round, the candidate gave the following interviews.)
Technical Interview Questions
- What is indexing? Explain everything you know about indexing.
- Where is BCNF used in real world?
- What is Lazy Loading, and Eager Loading?
- Given a string of multiple words. Reverse the string efficiently.
- Which is your favourite programming language and why?
- What are the features of OOP?
- How well versed are you with Data Structures?
- What is mean by Exception? Tell everything you know about exception. What are checked and unchecked exceptions? Name some of them.
- How well will you rate yourself in Java on a scale of 10?
- What is collection in Java? Name the different collection frameworks in Java.
- Write a program in Java to check a given string is palindrome or not?
Managerial Interview Questions
- Write a program for encapsulation. (Any Language)
- Write a simple program to handle exception.
- What is design pattern?
- What is Polymorphism? Explain with the help of an example.
- What is Run Time and Compile Time Polymorphism? Explain with the help of examples.
- What is HashMap?
- Write a SQL Query to design 3 tables named: Shopping Cart, Items, Price_of_Items and perform following operations – Extract some elements from the table Items with their respective prices from table Price_of_Items, then Insert those data into the table Shopping Cart.
HR Interview Questions
- Tell me about yourself?
- How will you rate the selection process of VMware? Why so?
- Tell me about any challenges you have faced. What you have learned out of it?
- What is the proudest moment for you in these past/ongoing 4 years of B.tech?
- Tell me about your family.