Excerpts from Interview #1:
(Engineering student having 10th grade - 84.7%, 12th grade - 88.5%, Graduation score - 70.3%)
- What is meant by “Class access modifiers”?
- What is deadlock? How do you avoid it?
- What is a thread?
- What exactly happens after each system call in sockets, both at the client and at the server.
- Give two main differences between "Truncate" and "Delete".
- Define "Access specifiers".
- What is BLOCK statements in SQL?
- What is an “Abstract Class”?
- What is your biggest regret in life?
- Give us two of your biggest strengths and weaknesses.
- Illustrate a few of your qualities which fall in line with HCL’s vision statement.
- What do you think about HCL?
- What interests you most about this position?
Excerpts from Interview #2:
(A B.Engg – ECE student from Panjab University with 7.34 CGPA and having 87.5 % in 12th and 90 % in 10th standard.)
- What do you understand by abstract classes?
- Differentiate between postfix and prefix operators.
- What are some negative aspects of computer networking.
- Tell about strtok & strstr functions.
- Differentiate between – TCP header and UDP header
- What is peep stack?
- What is a foreign key?
- How many ways can a variable be initialized into?
- What are three things that your friends will say about you?
- Where do you see yourself five years from now?
- What do you think are the qualities that define a Team Leader?
- How do your strengths overpower your weaknesses?
- How ambitious are you? Would you compete for my job?
Excerpts from Interview #3:
(A B.Engg. – ECE student from Panjab University with profile as 6.18 CGPA and having 71.4 % in 12th and 89.7 % in 10th.)
- Discuss the different protocols associated with each layer in the TCP/IP model.
- Tell us something about your academic project.
- What will happen when using pass by reference?
- Which programming language did you use to make your project?
- What was your contribution in the project?
- What is function of ROLLUP and CUBE?
- What motivates you to work for HCL Technologies?
- Do you plan to pursue an MBA immediately after completing your engineering?
- Describe various co-curricular and extra-curricular activities that you’ve participated in.
- What is your aim in life?
- What is your short term goal?
- How do you think your friends will define you?
Excerpts from Interview #4:
(A B.Engg. – ECE student from Panjab University with profile as 7.3 CGPA and having 89.4 % in 12th and 86 % in 10th.)
- How do you implement tree mirroring?
- What do you understand by cloud computing and where is it pre-dominantly used?
- Why is the prime motive behind companies using private cloud?
- Can procedure in a package be overloaded?
- What is the maximum no. of arguments that can be given in a command line in C.?
- What do you mean by threads in Operating System?
- Write a program to print ASCII code for a given digit.
- Why should you be hired for this role?
- Would you forego this job if you get a better opportunity?
- Which TV series do you like the most? Enlist some major characters of this series.
- Under what circumstances you will leave this job?
Excerpts from Interview #5:
(A B.Engg. – ECE student from Panjab University with profile as 7.64 CGPA and having 71.4 % in 12th and 89.7 % in 10th.)
- Give 10 points of differences between C & C++.
- What is the reason behind using constructors and destructors?
- Explain the OOPS concept?
- Can class objects be passed as function arguments?
- Explain pointer. What are function pointers?
- Define whitespace in C++.
- Differentiate fundamental data types and derived data types.
- Explain with example the concept of constant variable.
- What would you say is your strongest quality?
- What qualities do you think will be required for this job?
- What interests you about our product (or service)?
- How would you add value to our company?
- Name a few game software making companies.
- Would you like to suggest anything to us?
- Do you consider yourself successful?
Excerpts from Interview #6:
(A B.Engg. – ECE student from Panjab University with profile as 7.25 CGPA and having 78.5 % in 12th and 85 % in 10th.)
- Which subject do you like the best?
- What is exception handling?
- Disadvantage of indexed sequential file.
- What is order of B+tree?
- What is the method to declare member of a class static?
- What is the function of I/O library in C++ ?
- Can non graphic characters be used and processed in C++?
- What would be your most preferred work within HCL?
- Do you think you’ll be able to compete with students from IITs and other premier institutes considering that you have such a low CGPA?
- Which type of songs do you enjoy the most?
- If you could change one thing about your personality, what would it be? Why?
- Do you work well under pressure?
- Why did you join your previous company? Did they live up to your expectations? Why are you leaving now?
Other Resources for Placement Training: