Arrange the ideas in a particular order after a brainstorming session. The sentences should be arranged so that the reader can imagine and re-create the images portrayed in the essay. Use a particular order to organize the details into paragraphs according to the order of importance.
Describing a person
In an essay describing a person, one body of paragraph is given to the decription of the person’s appearance, one paragraph describes the character and another discusses the lifestyle and hobbies of the person described.
Describing a place
In describing a place, it is a good idea to organize the description from a specific point of view. While framing a picture of a place/building/scene in the mind of the reader, use subjective descriptions i.e. describe the place using all the five senses.
Describing an object
The method of objective description is used to describe an object or thing by describing its physical categories i.e. size, weight, shape, pattern, colour, material etc and also explain its value to you and other people.
Evaluating the essay
After you have written the essay, start evaluating it by answering the following questions:
- Does the introduction give the reader a clear idea of what to expect?
- Are there enough examples to support the idea expressed in the thesis statement?
- Does each paragraph focus on one aspect of the description?
- How are the details arranged? Are they in the order of importance (general to specific)?
- Is the essay coherent?
- Is the conclusion effective?
- Is the language of the essay descriptive?
- Is the language precise?