Excerpts from Interview #1:
(PEC – CSE student with profile as 9.56 CGPA and having 96.4 % in 12th and 95.7 % in 10th offering job profile as Software Engineer)
- What are semaphores?
- What is synchronization?
- What are arithmetic operators in C++? Distinguish between unary and binary operators.
- Evaluate a+=a + ++a if a=20 initially.
- What is virtual memory?
- What is paging, faulting, and deadlock?
- How to call a C++ function which is compiled with C++ compiler in C code?
- How can one application use same API provided by different vendors at the same time?
- If you are given the name of the function at run time how will you invoke the function?
- Don’t you feel that you are overqualified for the role?
- How would you compensate for your lack of experience?
- What do you look in a boss?
- Have you ever helped resolve a dispute among others?
- What position do you see yourself in when working in a team for a project?
- What are your personal work rules? What has been your most disappointing moment in a professional environment?
- Tell me about the most fun you have had on the job.
- Do you have any questions for me?
Excerpts from Interview #2:
(IIIT- Hyderabad – CSE student with profile as 8.3 CGPA and having 92.4 % in 12th and 91.3% in 10th offering job profile as Software Engineer)
- Define scheduling in OS.
- What are the purpose of following mathematical functions in C++: atan(),atan2().
- Tell us the difference between merge and quick sort. Which one would you prefer and why?
- Under what conditions do the mathematical function log(),log10() produce an error?
- Discuss the benefits and loopholes of type casting.
- Do you really need the auxiliary space in merge sort?
- Do you use any IBM product? Why not or which one?
- Write a program to input three integers and print the largest of three.
- What encourages you to do your best on the job?
- How willing are you to work overtime? Nights? Weekends?
- How would you know you were successful on this job?
- Would you be willing to relocate if required?
- Are you willing to put the interests of the organization ahead of your own?
- How would your teammates describe your management style?
- What is your biggest learning from a mistake at work?
- What are your blind spots?
- What would you look for in a candidate for this role?
Excerpts from Interview #3:
( IIT GUWAHATI – CSE student, CGPA:8.6 CGPA and having 93.4% in 12th and 94.8% in 10th,Job profile as Application Support Engineer )
- A hill is present, few taps are present, all connected to other taps above/below, find which tap will be the last one to get water from a spring on the top of the mountain.
- What is base class and derived class? How are these two interrelated?
- Design a couple of classes, explain all the basic OO fundamentals.
- Explain the importance in inheritance in OOPS.
- What is procedural programming?
- Illustrate one advantage and one disadvantage of using ? : in place of if?
- Tell me about your dream job.
- What makes you well suited for this job?
- What kind of person would you refuse to work with?
- What has higher value for you: the money or the work?
- What would your previous boss say your strongest point is?
- Tell us about an incidence where you resolved a big issue with your boss.
Excerpts from Interview #4:
(A B.Engg. – CSE student from Panjab University with profile as 8.01 CGPA and having 87 % in 12th and 90.1 % in 10th.)
- What is the difference between C and Java?
- What is significance of default clause in a switch statement?
- What is meant by an entry controlled loop?
- What is variable's scope?
- Define dangling - else. When does it occur?
- What are the uses of recursion function?
- What are the conditions of a deadlock?
- Write a program to find the LCM and HCF of two numbers.
- Show us how to reverse a linked list?
- Introduce yourself.
- What is your long term goal in life?
- What are the things that make you angry? Why?
- How would you describe your previous supervisor?
Excerpts from Interview #5:
(A B.Engg. – ECE student from Panjab University with profile as 7.85 CGPA and having 83.2 % in 12th and 88.9 % in 10th.)
- What is OODBMS?
- What is the difference between a structure and a union?
- What is function declaration? How is it different from function definition?
- What is 'sudo' access?
- Write a program to read an integer and determine number of digits in it.
- What are strings?
- What is use of constant arguments in functions?
- Define local scope and class scope.
- Write a C++ program that converts lower case letters in a given string to corresponding upper case letters and vice versa.
- What do you understand by array ?Explain its significance.
- Tell me about your family background.
- Why IBM?
- What is the most innovative thing you have ever done?
- Which dance form do you like most? What are the most important qualities in a team player?
- What do you do in your free-time? How did you spend your last summer?
- Who is the best chess player currently?
Excerpts from Interview #6:
(A B.Engg. – EEE student from Panjab University with profile as 7.38 CGPA and having 85.1 % in 12th and 91.7 % in 10th.)
- Can you tell advantages of RDBMS over simple custom DBMS?
- Which is the layer of an Operating System that takes care of the system resource usage at the lowest level?
- How are one dimensional represented in memory?
- Differentiate between global and local prototype.
- Can you tell any two advantages of stored procedures?
- What is meant by the index of an element? How are they numbered in C++?
- What is the difference between do loop & do while loop?
- What has been your greatest failure, and what did you learn from it?
- What are your expectations in terms of a salary?
- Where do you see yourself five years from now?
- How would you rate yourself from 5? Justify the score?
- What is the difference between hard work and smart work?
Other Resources for Placement Training: