The CAPF (Central Armed Police Forces) are under the authority of Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. It includes five security forces - Border Security Force (BSF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) and Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB). Every year, the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) conducts the written exam and the interview process to select the deserving aspirants. The candidates who qualify in the written examination become eligible for physical efficiency tests and the medical tests. Further, the qualifiers of the medical standards tests will then be called for an interview/ personality test. Interview is the round which can make or break your chances of being selected.
Purpose of the Interview
Interviews are the main selection criteria and measure the attitude, skill and abilities of the candidate. For this, you need to put your best foot forward. Panel members evaluate your performance based on your confidence level, body language, general knowledge and your views/ opinions on important issues/ events from across the country and the world.
Following are some tips that can help you prepare in the right direction:
Prepare About Your Self -
- Prepare your introduction and the personal questions which range from location preferences to family background, about the city you belong, etc.
- Prepare well about your hobbies, achievements your likes and dislikes, etc.
- Interviewers can ask any question related to your strength and weakness. You must prepare well regarding the same.
- Other questions can be - Are you willing to relocate to different places? What are your long term goals?
The key to cracking the CAPF interview is to be patient and not panic even if you don't know an answer to a question!
Prepare About Job Role -
Be ready for the questions like:
- Why should we hire you?
- What is your previous work experience?
- How do you associate your current qualification with the job?
- Where do you see yourself in next few years in this job profile?
About Current Affairs -
The questions can be of the following types:
- What are your views on Indo-Pak relations?
- What judicial reforms you think are needed in India?
- How are Indo-US Relations?
Other miscellaneous questions -
You should also be prepared for the following questions:
- Why is your first preference CISF/CRPF/SSB/ITBP/BSF?
- Why do you want to join CAPF?
- The image of police force is not good in our society so what steps you will take to change it in positivity?
- Should the powers of CPF be increased, decreased or untouched for their effective functioning vis-a-vis State Police Forces?
- Why aren't you trying for other jobs?
Learn from the Personal Experience -
According to Ashok Singh, CAPF topper (2012) AIR 11, there is always a chance that the interviewer will ask the questions related to Police Department and Defense field. So you should have the knowledge of BSF, CISF, SSB, CRPF, ITBP. Being honest and giving answers perfectly will help you score good marks in interview. Some of the questions asked from him were-
- What does Ashok Chakra signifies in Indian flag and about significance of all colors of Indian flag?
- What do you know about Shahid Afridi? Why was he recently in news?
- Why do you want to join CAPF?
- What is AICTE?
- What is unique about your home district/ city?
Overall, he found the interview normal and the interviewers cooperative. This was possible for him because of his dedicated preparation and high confidence level.
Thus, to crack CAPF interview, personal interview preparation and the knowledge of current affairs is very important. Always keep yourself updated with the first hand information to succeed in the competition.
So, don't miss your chance. Prepare thoroughly keeping the above tips in mind and increase your chances of being selected in the CAPF interview.