The process of selection at IIT BOMBAY consists of a Case Study followed by a Personal Interview.
Feedback - Case Study
Average Duration : 15 mins
No. of Panelists : 3
- The case was about a FMCG company which gives very expensive training to 9 of its executives. One of the executives later leaves the company since he doesn't get a good position in the organization and gets a lucrative offer from a rival. Q1. What should his manager do in this case? Q2. What should the company do to avoid such problems?
- The case study was about a couple of guys who are good friends, of whom one gets promoted to become a supervisor. Now the other guy has been coming late recently and the supervisor doesn't say anything for the first couple of times but on the third time gives him a written notice. The question was how would you handle such a situation and what is more important - "to be tough and nice" or "to be nice and tough?"
- The case was about a supervisor Suresh Kumar for a distribution firm who had appointed a new young technical graduate, Sameer, for managing the workers in the offload process as he was facing problems as workers were not motivated and were not doing their work properly. Also they were taking frequent breaks. Sameer tried to motivate them but they didn't listen and the end result was that he was boycotted from their social activities. There was a senior worker named Shankar Dada, who spoke to Sameer and Sameer told him that he was happy that he was leaving the job as he did not want to become like one of them. To this Shankar retaliated that if you would have been here for long, you would have become one of us. It was followed by two questions: Q1. Was the supervisor encouraging or discouraging the workers at their job? Q2. Was Shankar Dada's statement right or wrong?
Feedback - Personal Interview
Average Duration : 10-15 mins
No. of Panelists : 3
- Excerpts From Interview 1 : What are your plans after MBA? What are wireless networks? Chandigarh is a planned city. How will you build such a city in Mumbai? What is your role in the Entrepreneurship Development Circle of your college? (student was a member).How will you make IIT- B's campus Wi-Fi enabled? What project you did in the final semester? Have you achieved something in life so far? Why could you achieve this? Why IIT- Mumbai?
- Excerpts From Interview 2 : Tell us something about yourself? What is the vision statement of SJSOM? What is excise duty? What is inflation? What is its current rate? What is the inflation rate in US? What is subprime crisis? Tell us something about what happened to Lehman Brothers? Who were the major competitors of Lehman Brothers? What is mean, median and mode? What is the relation between these three? Draw the normal distribution curve? What do you mean by supply chain management? What are direct and indirect taxes?
- Excerpts From Interview 3 : What rank did you hold in graduation? How many students were there in your class? Tell us something about you not mentioned in the form? On which platform do you work in Infosys? Tell us something about IRB Infotech? (previous job) What are your major hobbies? What are the different shots played in table tennis? Can you draw the graph of the spin shot on the XY axis? Which mathematical graph does it represent? Draw the graph and give the equation for a parabola? What is the focus and focal length of a parabola? What are the forces acting on a ball when it is in the air? How many development centers do Infosys has? What did you like about Infosys the most? Tell us something about Ludhiana?(native place)
If you have any question, suggestion or feedback, feel free to post it in the discussion box given below.