Common Admission Process (CAP) 2022 was held by IIM Tiruchirappalli. A total of nine IIMs participate in CAP. These include IIM Bodh Gaya, IIM Sambalpur, IIM Sirmaur,IIM Tiruchirappalli (Trichy), IIM Kashipur, IIM Jammu, IIM Ranchi, IIM Raipur, and IIM Udaipur. For the flagship MBA/PGDM or specialised programmes, the candidates are shortlisted on the basis of CAT scores. The final admission is granted as per the candidate’s CAT score, past academic record, academic/gender diversity, work experience, and interview performance.
The process for MBA/PGDM admissions 2022 at New IIMs followed the given order:
- Shortlisting (based on CAT score)
- Personal Interview
A panel of two interviewers assessed the candidates on their personality traits, academic knowledge, work experience, and interests. Some candidates were also asked questions regarding their native place. Generally, every interview went on for 10-20 minutes. Here are some of the experiences shared by candidates interviewed in 2022:
Background: Graduation in Economics
- What did you prepare for this interview?
- What other calls do you have?
- Tell me about yourself. Tell me about your strengths and weaknesses.
- Then, how will you handle the flagship PGP course if you're not good at networking?
- Do you know how many institutes participate in CAP? Ifyou are selected for all of these, which one would you choose? What factors would you consider while choosing the institute?
- Where did the name ‘Varanasi’ come from? What is meant by Banaras?
- Which branch did you like in economics? Tell me about any one macroeconomic concept. What is utility theory?
Background:B.Tech, Work Ex of 2.5 years in IT
- Tell me about yourself.
- Which specialisation do you want to study in MBA?
- What are the 4Ps of marketing?
- You mentioned about a national level competition on EV design, can share your experience about the same? Are you aware of the recent schemes around solar energy? Any latest solar alliance? Are there any other types of renewable energy, apart from solar?
- What was your favourite subject during college days?
- How do you identify an electrical machine?
- How isenergy transferred wirelessly?
- Share some incidents in your life where you have shown leadership skills.
Background: BA LLB, Fresher
- Tell me about yourself.
- Which latest movie did you watch?
- What is your CAT percentile? Which other interviews do you have?
- Which subjects did you study in graduation?
- Tell me the basics of accounting.
- How are SC judges appointed? Are you aware of Article 370? Do you know the history of the legal system in India? Tell us one constitutional amendment of the past year which had a social impact.
- Which city are you from? Tell me about it.
- Why do you want to do MBA? Why MBA after law?
- What is your opinion on the new National Education Policy?
- Do you know about the hierarchy of courts in India? Who is the present CJI?
New IIMs - CAP Interview Experiences
Background:BBA (specialization in Finance) from NMIMS, Fresher
- Why MBA? Why not get work ex first?
- What have you studied in Business Law?
- What are your favourite subjects?
- What is the super regulatory authority of Chartered Accountants in India? What do they do?
- Tell us about your extracurricular activities.
- Which internships have you done? You’re a finance student, then why did you do marketing internships?
- Which colleges have you applied for Dual Specialisation?
- You have not mentioned NMIMSas one of your preferences. Why is that?
- You mentioned social media internship,can you tell us a few metrics used for analysis?
- How do you select an influencer? What are the criteria for that?
- What are the principles of Cost Accounting?
- Tell me about a few types of valuations. How do you valuate a company which is not listed? Can you tell me about some of the metrics used in relative valuation?
- What is inflation? How is it calculated?
- How is a ‘view’ calculated on an Instagram post?
- What are your hobbies? What is the last thing you baked? Take us through the process and ingredients.
- What is the mission and vision of the Rotaract Club? (Candidate was a member of Rotaract Club of College)
Background: Graduation in Hospitality, Fresher
- Tell me about yourself.
- Why MBA after hospitality?
- Explain your shift from medical to hospitality.
- What was the status of the hospitality and tourism sector towards the end of covid? What methods can be used by hotels to promote their business? Name five popular hotel chains of India.
- What were your roles in industrial training?
- What are your areas of interest in MBA?
- What is GDP? As per budget 2022, what arethe GDP growth rate and fiscal deficit?
- What are the characteristics of service as a product?
- What are your hobbies? Then, name two women players from India and their BWF current rankings. Tell us about different tiers of badminton tournaments. Name some Indian badminton tournaments.
- Tell me about some food restaurant guides used in India and the world.
- What did you do after your graduation in 2021?
- Tell us something about the Oberoi group of hotels. (Candidate did an internship there)
- Share an instance of your training where you played a leadership role and faced challenges. Tell us how you overcame them.