Format of the Resume
The chronological resume arranges the activities in a proper time sequence. Include the company name in the "bullet" describing each accomplishment. NEVER omit at least a bare-bones chronological listing of your work experience, in your functional resume. Ensure that your resume meets the following accepted norms:
- Length: The resume length should be between one to two pages.
- Be consistent: Choose a pattern of spacing, an order of information presentation or a format of highlighting and be consistent throughout.
- Present information in reverse chronological order within categories. List education and work experiences starting with the most recent first. Best to separate education
- UNLESS the hobby/ activity / Memberships of associations is somehow relevant to your job objective OR it clearly reveals a characteristic that supports your job objective, do not mention it.
- Visual Appeal: Choose high quality paper in white, off-white or other conservative colors. Fonts like Times Roman and Arial are easy to read. The font size should be between 11-13. Use highlighting sparingly, so that the impact is not lost. The Margin should be about one inch each on all sides.
- Check for grammar. Misspellings communicate negative impressions about a candidate.
Sample Cover Letter
Dear Hiring Manager,
I'm writing to express my interest in the Systems Engineer position at XYZ Ltd.
Combination of creative talent and technical knowledge makes me the right person to help your software team grow.
I have developed individual as well as group projects in Java and .Net. A few of them are under implementation right now.
I also have received training from HCL Infosystems in C and C++.
My experience during Industrial Training at ABC Ltd. has taught me how to build strong relationships with all departments at an organization. I have the ability to work within a team as well as cross-team.
If I can provide you with any further information on my background and qualifications, please let me know. I can be reached via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
or phone at 888-888-8888.
Thank you for your time and consideration, I look forward to speaking with you about this employment opportunity.
First Name, Last Name